Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Brake Upgrade Guide

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Brake Upgrade Guide

This is a make upgrade guide for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Please note I will specify which models certain brakes do and do not affect. This is my piled compliation of threads that I have read so please thank these people and check out thier threads. Please thank Jamal over at ****** he is also over on SLI and damn near everywhere you can think of, I read alot of his threads that were littered with info. Its great reading material when your taking a number 2.

Brake rotor guide from Jamal
    Rotor detail from KNS Brakes
    Nissan rears from Woopdeeze
    Buttdyno put together a great compliation of brake threads

Why Upgrade brakes

There are plenty of reasons to upgrade your brakes but here are some ideas to make you think.

Is this your first mod?

If this is your first mod that you want to do great! But how are your brakes right now, have they been recently maintained with turned rotors, pads, fluids? If you are stopping moderately quick and your brakes are up to standards, I would start with suspension. Not to persuade you away from brakes but if everything is in working condition and fairly new working on another mod that will make an everyday difference such as a sway bar, newer springs, fixing things that are worn or don't work on your car first. setups can cost 200 and all the way up to 2,000 dollars. These aren't a money friendly mod, but they do last a good minute.

Should I go all out?

Ready to buy some brakes and just want to go all out to get it over with may not be the best idea. Keep your budget and goals in mind for your car. There are plenty of setups that can fit all budgets and satisfy. Simple mods can just be replacing your pads and fluid with performance pads and fluids. Going all out doesn't mean you your setup will be better than everyone else. In the next post I will show uses of the setups so that you can find out what will or might satisfy you.

Should I Upgrade my Stock Setup?

Not everyone needs Brembo or 4pots sometimes performance pads, rotors, fluid, brakelines are the perfect fit, If you are on a budget for a perfect dd this could be your ticket. For a little over 150 you can upgrade your front rotors, pads and fluid and have exceptional stopping power. Alot of people go this route to save money and keep it simple.

Can I just upgrade my fronts?

Yes you can, and its perfectly fine to do so, just remember any larger rotors, or calipers will result in the brake balance being off. The front will wear alot quicker than the rear and you car will have more front dip under braking than usual. Adding a upgraded rear brake setup will even out the balance more.
    Last edited by WESTcoast; 08-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.