Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold air intake vs. short ram

1. Top Of Page | #1

Ladies First

User Info Menu

Cold air intake vs. short ram

So it would seem I am trying to research the difference and I still don't get it, maybe the info is bad...anywho I will ask you awesome folk! So I would like to know the difference, specific to my 2011 STi and also for other subies too.
    Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Cold air goes all the way into your fender, short ram keeps the filter in your engine bay.

Cold air setup

Short ram
    Every thug needs a lady.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

When the CAI option is available, it's usually recommended. You gaurantee that the engine is getting the coldest (densest) air possible. Cold, dense air leads to more power, all else being equal.

The downside to a CAI, is that you have the *potential* to ingest water into the intake (through a big puddle, or a flooded section of road), and it often takes up more space and/or is more difficult to route. If you're worried about sucking in water, there are certain safeguards that can be added (Hydroshield, and some hydrophobic filters, etc...). Personally, I dont think i'd worry about injesting water on a daily-driven car, but others will argue.

Some SRIs come with heat shields to help keep the hot engine-bay air out of the intake.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Cobb has the best solution IMO. They have a short ram coupled with a cold air box.

The cold air box is not a shield but it draws air directly into a sealed area around the short ram through the existing fender holes and the stock snorkel.

With that system you have the advantages of both worlds in that you get the flow of a SRI and the cold air of a CAI.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Heidi, for your current setup keep your stock intake and first invest in a fuel system. That alone will take you a long way.

6. Top Of Page | #6

Ladies First

User Info Menu

Thanks all! Please do elaborate for me Fuji...

7. Top Of Page | #7

Ladies First

User Info Menu

Stock one back on, that's what I am gonna do!

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Best mods bang for the buck IMO:

Boost control -don't pay for a name brand EBCS, they slap labels on generic solenoids and just wire on a connector

Fuel pump - have seen IDCs drop 15% with just a fuel pump

Injectors -stock STIs do not have enough injector for what they can put out. Only changing these can get you close to stage 2 power.

9. Top Of Page | #9

Ladies First

User Info Menu

Thank you kindly, opinions always welcome to this noob, Internet can get crowded and silly!

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

No problem dear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast