Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosting an EJ251?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Boosting an EJ251?

Theres a white RS that is running a custom turboed ej251 with a TD04 turbo pushing like 6 psi.

Ive never heard of this kinda of set up but this is what he says about it...

The heads and block came from a guy building a track car out of his 2000 RS. They had roughly 80k miles. I replaced the valve cover seals before installing everything. At about 100k miles in the motor, a timing pulley went. I tore the engine down and checked for damage. The heads and valves were untouched. At that point, the timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, timing cover and seals, and accessory belts/pulley/bracket were replaced. It has been running strong ever since.

This is the second car I've had with this setup. It's slightly faster off the line than a WRX and way more torquey. Going into 4th, I would have about 2 car lengths on a WRX and then the TD04 runs out of gas. At only 6 psi, it's just blowing hot air and half way through 4th, it's basically NA. It's the perfect autox setup since it has practically instantaneous boost.

What do you think guys?
    http://www.rs25.com/forums/f171/t177...upe-white.html

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAC Wagon View Post
    At only 6 psi, it's just blowing hot air and half way through 4th, it's basically NA. It's the perfect autox setup since it has practically instantaneous boost.
    I dunno about that. I had my TD04 controlled by a profecb boost controller at 6, 10, and 15psi. I pushed it to 18psi occasionally. The TD04 does not just "blow hot air" at 6psi.

I have a feeling he doesn't take it over 6psi for fear of blowing the engine to smitherines.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So am I right in thinking that if I buy this car I'd have to essentially do a full swap just like I would with a stock RS ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Eh not a full swap. Wiring is obviously already done if its turbo. So just block / heads. Or run it as is. N/A engines can usually handle mild boost OK as long as you don't beat the hell out of it.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well i already have a 257 short block and a vf39 to use on something. And I don't think he did any wiring. If you read the build I think he just added the turbo and a few other "pieces laying around the garage" lol

Think it's worth offering him $7000? He's asking $8000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ill read the ad tomorrow and tell you.

If there is no engine management, then its a rip off

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks John, youre the best!

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It might be taking a look at. I know a lot of people in Marietta, GA, so I can probably have someone I trust take a peek at it. I have a friend who works for Topspeed outside of Atlanta who is literally a Subaru genius.

I didn't see anything about engine management in the ad.

As well, most of the modified Subarus in Atlanta I know about....I actually personally know almost all of the Atlanta Subaru crowd...and I can say that this car wasn't in the game when I lived there (last November is when I moved)....So I'm thinking that this car was just built recently or it came from outside of GA.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The guys ****** thread shows that he lives and has lived in GA for a while. Hes further north though, somewhat in the boonies up near the NC/TN line.

Heres a picture of both of his RS's

http://forums.******.com/forums/show....php?t=1621894

Im pretty sure he said it doesnt come with the piggy back system Ill dbl check.

How close is anyone you know to Ellijay, GA?

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

and from his posts in ******, the car hes had for about 2-3 years now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast