Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Turbo dieing??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo dieing??

My current mod list are as follows (2008 STi Hatch): installed in order with a few weeks in between each upgrade.
    1)COBB AP (running COBB OTS stage 1 map)
    2)Harmonmotive TBE 3" Cat-less downpipe (Cobb OTS Stage 2 map)
    3)GRIMMSPEED AOS
    4)COBB SF Intake (Cobb OTS stage 2 map with intake map)
    5)Perrin Turbo Inlet (on stock turbo)
    6)DW65c Fuel pump

Im having more oil in my intercooler than normal. I asked my fellow local subaru buddies and they say that my turbo is dieing. Just before I got here to Afghan black smoke would come out of my exhaust when I would do WOT runs. It has only happened twice. Also my boost would have a hard time on 5th and 6th gear. It would struggle then just spike up to 21-22 psi. When I drive normally it drives fine and the boost hold up fine. Ive done a lot of research and im thinking it might be my PCV valve, turbo dieing, some kind of leak or even be OTS stage 2 map from Cobb. I think the leak can be taken out of the equation, but ill double check when I get home here in a couple of weeks. But where should I start looking or should I just get a new turbo and take it from there? If so what Turbo do you all recommend? I dont plan on going more than 400hp. Just want to be as close to it as possible safely. I was thinking maybe a Blouch. Any help will greatly be appreciated, and if you have any questions that might help you know a little more, let me know. I would gladly answer them asap.

Thank you all for your time.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba02STi View Post
    sounds like the seals have gone bad in the turbo... time for a rebuild or replacement...

if upgrading the turbo the garrets and bouches are pretty popular...

I would do a compression and leak down test before i do anything to make sure i did crack a ring land... next i would move to the turbo pcv (highly unlikely that this is causing a problem) and oil pick up lines... turbo'd cars burn oil and it is normal to see a bit in the TMIC... excessive amounts though usually end up being a blown oil seal in the turbo...

Appreciate the fast response!

Ill go ahead and do a compression and leak down test when I get back. If all comes out good ill be buying a Blouch turbo, injectors and a protune.