Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Randy's West Michigan Wrx Stroker - Journal

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Randy's West Michigan Wrx Stroker - Journal

After the fact documentation of the build. Pretty much a place to view images of this vehicle. 2002 WRX with 2006 front end. Recently with a reconditioned engine.

Engine Specs:
    2002 2.0 liter 128,595 miles (2.23 Liters after modification)
    Manley Rods
    Manley Forged Pistons 92.5mm
    Nitried STi crank 83mm stroke
    ACL Race bearings
    Balanced rods, pistons, crank
    TGV deletes
    Ported throttle body
    Ported Intake
    Ported uppipe
    Stock cams
    Stock injectors (Randy plans to change before tune)
    VF39 STi turbo
    STi Intercooler
    Mishimoto hoses
    Unknown BOV
    Invidia catless turboback exhaust
    Exedy Clutch/stock flywheel
    Walbro Fuel pump
    Heads stock valves/springs
    Cleaned up ports (not ported)
    3 angle valve finish to seats
    New timing belt, idlers, pulleys, water pump
    STi oil pump
    Stock heat range NGK plugs

Suspension
    Stock

Interior
    Upgrades in process

Images to follow

Engine compartment pre build

Front end after engine removal

One of the reasons it arrived early (before Thanksgiving instead of before Christmas)

Engine pulled:

Parts to be cleaned:

The bearings:

The pistons:

Last edited by got2boostit2; 05-12-2012 at 10:24 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Reserved for images

Randy had purchased most of the parts for this build and negotiated with myself and another person for services. The other person was to be responsible for reconditioning the heads along with port or gasket matching the ports on the heads as well as porting the intake and stock header, uppipe and throttle body. He also was to perform the TGV delete. I should have mentioned the uneasy feeling I had when I dropped parts off as it was an indication of what was to come. Parts delivered 11-26-11.

Parts forced to be returned 12-23-11 because Randy needed to have his engine completed by early January 2012. NOT!

When Peter sat the box on the tailgate of my truck, my head dropped. My exact words to Peter were; "Do you see what I see?" (appropriate for the Christmas season).

All four combustion chambers exhibited what you see here and worse:

I was not going to install these heads. Peter had spent hours performing grinding of the ports - big waste of time as he forgot Disassemble, clean and inspect. Cardinal rules for any machine shop person. He also did not fully complete the TGV delete and broke parts that were to be reused to prevent TGV codes.

Thus started months of seeking suitable replacement heads. (two and 1/2 months and four heads later)

The crank, rods, pistons were fitted to the block and ready late December, but low and behold, no useable heads!!!! Had a set of heads sent in early February that were completely reconditioned and machined with cams and valve lash set but they had cracks in all four chambers!!!!!

Randy chose to purchase parts and for the most part he did a good job. In some instances I did not fully communicate what would be needed and that created stress and delays during the build. Parts like thermostat, plugs, proper gaskets (avoid cheap aftermarket gasket sets-missing gaskets, improperly molded gaskets, etc). Once the heads were machined I was able to start the assembly process. Did run into a couple of issues due to rusty bolts. I attempted to media blast most of then however as you see in some images they were still rusty. This all renders the build from an appearance standpoint so, so in my mind.

After getting the parts assembled and ready to drop the engine back in the car, Randy chose to purchase a used clutch friction disc and pressure plate. I personally would not do this, but knowing expense was a concern I allowed it. Well that backfired! Big time to say the least. The engine got installed and I typically install the throwout bearing on the transmission snout and seat the throwout bearing once the engine is married to the transmission. Got it done, but failed to verify the T/O bearing would latch to the pressure plate while I had extra hands around. Found out later that the USED pressure plate was missing the retaining ring for the T/O bearing and would not latch!! Unnecessary call to Randy to advise engine or trans would have to be pulled again to correct. Advised he needed to order a new clutch, which he did but it would be end of the week before it arrived. We are now going into May 2012, remember this process started in November 2011!

Anyway, new clutch and pressure plate arrived and was installed. No more clutch pedal to the floor! Got it buttoned back up, plumbed and ready to start. Started it and noticed it was missing. This had me scratching my head and texting my friends for clue generators. Noticed the tailpipe appeared rich for some reason. Did some research and after dreaming about it for two days determined which cylinders were missing (appeared to be 2/4) but was actually 2. Rechecked TGV wiring which was taped up and determined it was right, but in the process found injector 2 connector not fully seated! Miss solved. Now had to locate and correct two leaks, oil and coolant. Was able to locate and correct both, now on to the test drive! Drove it 55 miles, rechecked for leaks, changed oil and filter, sampled oil appeared clear of debris etc. Now it was time to change the fuel pump as I wanted to make sure engine ran before changing to the new fuel pump. Got the change done, drove the car to clean it up and called Randy to come and get it.

He had been away from his car too long and forgot how to drive a manual. I leave it in 1st gear and ALWAYS check for neutral before releasing the clutch pedal. Randy did not do this when starting the car! So it rolled away from me just missing my left foot as I was kneeling down to finesse some plastic that was on the front fender winglet! Anyway, no harm no foul as Randy was able to shut it off. Note to self, turn other peoples manual trans cars off in neutral and set park brake!!!!!! LoL
    Last edited by got2boostit2; 05-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

New parts Pron for your viewing pleasure:

Rotating components assembled

In the block

Heads going on

Torque Angle
    Last edited by got2boostit2; 05-12-2012 at 04:21 PM.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cleaning parts

Painted parts

Last edited by got2boostit2; 05-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Maybe this will cover it.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

No, just one more reserved

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Subscribed!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.