Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOVED: Air Intake - Engine Choking [SOLVED]

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

MOVED: Air Intake - Engine Choking [SOLVED]

today i made an air intake with pvc piping got the actual mafs connector, used a medium size cone and it choked my engine, switched to the smaller cone still choking any one know why this is happening an dhow to make it work right?
    Last edited by John; 03-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Is there any particular reason you don't wanna buy one?

Sent from my EVO

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

to much money and i fixed the problem i installed my maf backwards, turned it around fixed will post pics tomorrow

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rek888v2 View Post
    Get a tune immediately espically with a home made intake. Not that it wont wield power, but your MAF volts are gonna be WAY off!!
    Agreed

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

how much does it cost to get it tuned

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm going to sound like a complete ******* here, but I'm not meaning to be at all.

Get rid of that intake and go back to the stock airbox. Its MUCH better then the cone filter setup. The only thing the cone filter does is give you a cool sound, but it actually hurts your performance.

The cone filter will also effect your lower RPMs. You will get whats call "renosence" or something like that....Basically, your MAF will vibrate, giving your ECU false readings making it think more air is coming in then what really is.

Tuning rate usually around $150 an hour, and can very on how long it takes from tuner to tuner.

Honestly, the best advise I can give you is to go back to your stock intake box. It does a lot better then you would think. The cone filter setup you have going is hurting your horsepower, gas mileage, and performance.

One option you have that I've seen good results from is doing a hybrid intake. Basically do something like what you have now, but instead of a cone filter on the end of the pipe, you have your stock air box.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm going to sound like a complete ******* here, but I'm not meaning to be at all.

Get rid of that intake and go back to the stock airbox. Its MUCH better then the cone filter setup. The only thing the cone filter does is give you a cool sound, but it actually hurts your performance.

The cone filter will also effect your lower RPMs. You will get whats call "renosence" or something like that....Basically, your MAF will vibrate, giving your ECU false readings making it think more air is coming in then what really is.

Tuning rate usually around $150 an hour, and can very on how long it takes from tuner to tuner.

Honestly, the best advise I can give you is to go back to your stock intake box. It does a lot better then you would think. The cone filter setup you have going is hurting your horsepower, gas mileage, and performance.

One option you have that I've seen good results from is doing a hybrid intake. Basically do something like what you have now, but instead of a cone filter on the end of the pipe, you have your stock air box.
    i was going to do that but i got talked into the cone but i do love that sound it makes

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Whoever talked you out of doing the hybrid setup gave you poor advise.

To be honest with you, if you're looking for performance out of your non-turbo Subaru, you will likely never get any "respectable" amount of horsepower without doing some kind of swap in it. I have a turbo FAQ in the DIY section that gives all kinds of info on turbo swaps if thats something you're interested in doing someday.

Best mods for you to do are steering/suspension mods. You're car isn't "fast", but it can be pretty damn quick in the corners with the right suspension setup.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

i will be putting a sti exhaust on it i want it to sound nice i know its not gonna be fast and i dont' want to do a turbo on it, will having the cone mess up my engine tho

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The cone filter isn't going to hurt your car.

You lose a bit of power, your performance suffers, and sometimes your gas mileage will go down a bit.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast