Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix AZ

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hello from the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix AZ

Newbie here and to Subarus, though I have raced against a bunch of Subie powered dune buggies out in the Dunes of Southern California.

I have a 96 Legacy Outback wagon that I picked up from the son of a friend. It was new to the boy and when the head gasket blew on the 2.5, and between the two of them couldn't get one of the heads off because of a stuck headbolt, they decided to scrap the whole car for the 350.00 in scrap metal worthiness. I took one look at the clean and rust free wagon in white w/ grey accents and said I'd give him 425.00 if he threw in the new radiator they had bought to cure the overheating problem they saw.

Fast forward to pulling the 2.5, getting the headbolt out by cutting the flange off the head of the bolt, only to discover that someone had pried or hammered on the block in a couple of places, causing deep enough dents that it warranted splitting the block to have it machined. Too much for my newbie status with Subies so my son and I went to a U-pull it and found a 95 with a 2.2 in it and 160.00 later had it in the truck. Did some seals on it while we had it out and slapped it in the Legacy. Changed the oil several times now with a little over 5,000 miles and the transaxle fluid 3 times, to try and stop a shuddering during low speed turns.

Love this little wagon. Great on gas compared to any other vehicle in the stable and the best part is I have about 1,000.00 dollars in it so far. John, (broknindarkagain) moved back to the Phoenix area and we've been swapping labor for shop time and parts. He REALLY knows Subarus.

I build the Internet for a living by constructing fiber optic networks for industry, governments and ISP's and have been doing it since 1971.

Tom
    Last edited by John; 03-21-2012 at 12:12 AM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Welcome to the team. Glad John could help you out.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

Ladies First

User Info Menu

Hi Tom....welcome!!

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Woo! Another LGT convert. Welcome dooder

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Take some pics ad post up in Wagon Mafia thread also. Congrats on being an Outback owner, awesome cars.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome guys (or gals since I not familiar with everyone yet). I'll get some pics and figure out the posting on this forum. Is my Legacy Outback considered an LGT? I just bought this to help a kid out and maybe have an economical car to run errands with but it's starting to really grow on me. It gets 3 times the mileage from a gallon of gas that my V-10 Ford does. If I'm not having to carry anything large or heavy, I prefer the Subie. I have been blessed in the past and have some really nice cars and trucks but that little Subie has captured my heart.

Tom

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

If you need any help let us know and we will be glad to help me.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CRZTRBO View Post
    If you need any help let us know and we will be glad to help me.
    What??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road SHO View Post
    John, (broknindarkagain) moved back to the Phoenix area and we've been swapping labor for shop time and parts. He REALLY knows Subarus.
    Thanks Tom!

Tom is a really good guy guys.....he is one of the most helpful and caring people I know. Treat him well!
    Last edited by John; 03-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hi Tom! Welcome! I'm Ashley, John's wifey, if you don't remember me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast