Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Resetting TPMS in WRX

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Resetting TPMS in WRX

Does anyone know how to reset the TPMS in a WRX? The manual says I have to call a dealer. I took my winter wheels off and put the stock wheels back on today. The light on my dash is still flashing. What should I do? Thanks for your help!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

The dealer is going to have to turn it off for you. Sucks, but no other way around it. You can spend $1200 for a tool that does it for you.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I haven't driven it too far from where I changed my wheels so I'm still kind of hoping it will reset itself. My winter wheels don't have the TPM sensors in them so the light has been flashing on my dash all winter. My father re-indexes / resets the electrical system in his corvette by giving the window button 3 quick pushes down, followed by 3 quick pulls up. I laughed like crazy when he told me this. I wish it could be that easy for me! Thanks for the responses.

Also, just noticed that I may have posted this in the wrong place. If so....I'M SORRY!!!

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Try calling local tire shops. Most tire chains (Sears, Big 10, Discount Tire, etc) have the tool needed to reset TPMS.

One of the sensors may be bad as well - but you need the tool to check for that too lol

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

That is not good information at all. Buy yourself an AP (accessport) then you can reset any issues with your ecu. I reset my tpms when I had a cracked rim and had to replace it. Any ecu warning you can reset with the AP and you can diagnose issues yourself.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hooniganTX View Post
    That is not good information at all. Buy yourself an AP (accessport) then you can reset any issues with your ecu. I reset my tpms when I had a cracked rim and had to replace it. Any ecu warning you can reset with the AP and you can diagnose issues yourself.

TPMS is not a trouble code and therefore cannot be deleted by the accessport. This information is incorrect.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You are correct @biznasty44 but there are DTCs that pertain to TPMS. Bad TPMS doesn't always trip a MIL but it can. @hooniganTX may have had one of those issues. To reset the TPMS itself requires a magnetic programming tool and an ECU tool. The Accessport, as far as I know, have the proper programming permissions for this partition of the ECU.