Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel vibration at 50+ mph.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Steering Wheel vibration at 50+ mph.

Hey there,

Hate to put in a link here but it pretty much explains my issue and what I have fixed in order to resolve this. I have been chasing this problem for a LONG time now.

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22165

I have replaced:

Brakes (Calipers, rotors, pads)
    Axles
    Steering Rack
    Inner and Outer tie rod ends
    Transmission and Engine mounts are new and torqued properly and are not ripped or torn.
    Rims and tires are new (did it on my old set) and are balanced and have been balanced numerous times by different shops which have all checked out.
    Wheel bearings

I have taken the car to a couple shops with NO luck in them finding anything.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

What is the condition of the rear diff bushings? Rear axles? Rear wheel bearings?

You have gone through pretty much the entire front end...your problem may be in the rear.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Anything in the rear wouldn't effect the actual steering wheel. That would be a seat of the pants feeling if it were in the rear.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Around 45k on the 04sti struts. New springs and top hats. Did the same thing with my 04 wrx stuff. Put the sti stuff on 2 months ago.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ordering a White line bump steer kit and new front lca bushings. Rack has been replaced and white line bushings to go with it

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rack is not even a month old. No leaking. Pump makes no noise and works fine. The struts were taken off 2 weeks ago for a regrease when I put the new GF210's on. None are blown. None never made noise either

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

How would I know if the pump has failed then?

I have 3 shops stumped as well on my issue.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Have had that checked. Twice actually. Plus it did it on my old rims and tires too (which I thought were the original problem)

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Subaru's don't like some non OEM parts. Are both of your hubs/bearing sets a matched pair? Have you taken a wire brush or wheel to the inside of the wheels? Same goes for the rotors around the lugs. I have had vibration from rust/crud/dirt between the rotor and the wheel. Also check your sway bar and its mounts and bushings. In my 97 outback I had one oem axle and one non oem and had a similar problem do to a difference in rotating mass. Just my .02 . You could also call Scott at Punisher, he is a front end/suspension wizzard.http://www.facebook.com/PunisherPerformance

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Both bearings and hubs are NOT matching on each side.

Inside of the wheels are clean and the rotors are new so there isnt much build up. Axles are the same brand both side and were replaced at the same time just last week (which obviously weren't the issue).

The bushings on the sway bars have been replaced as well. Both front and rear due to an upgrade. Keep in mind I have had this issue for almost a year now. A lot has been replaced. Nothing that was used.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast