Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: WRC Tail Light Mod.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

How To: WRC Tail Light Mod.

This is my first "How-to". This is a very simple mod that IMO looks far superior to the JDM tail mod.

Just did the conversion and it was incredibly easy. You'll need:

04/05 Tail lights
    Socket Wrench
    Several minutes. Probably around 6.

This is what I wanted it to look like:

This is how it turned out:

To do this:
    1. Pull out tail by peeling back the trunk liner and loosening the bolts.
    2. On the outermost bulb, cut the red wire.
    3. Put it back in, only the center will light now when the lights are on, and all lights come on when the brake pedal is applied.
    4. Done.
    The bottom strip is lit too its just all about angle with these. They dont look exactly like it because the lights are actually different on the WRC car. Damn close and great looking though. More unique then the JDM mod. Pic!:

Before:

After:

Last edited by R3V; 03-05-2012 at 10:31 AM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I'm going to be doing this to my 04 for sure. On the outermost bulb, cut the red wire. I never had them out. Is that the bulb on the side of the lights?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Is there a "before" picture for those who dont own this car?

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Jdm mod deff looks better in my opinion

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

im thinking about pulling my 07 tailights apart and blacking out the chrome, probably do this WRC mod too

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CRZTRBO View Post
    I'm going to be doing this to my 04 for sure. On the outermost bulb, cut the red wire. I never had them out. Is that the bulb on the side of the lights?
    Yessir, the outermost bulb. Very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JAC Wagon View Post
    Is there a "before" picture for those who dont own this car?
    Added!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxspeed56 View Post
    Jdm mod deff looks better in my opinion
    To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by 07sleeperwagon View Post
    im thinking about pulling my 07 tailights apart and blacking out the chrome, probably do this WRC mod too
    You can always pick up a set of 2006 rears, since they are gunmetal. This mod will not work with the 06/07 tails though, as they are laid out completely differently.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

What happens if you just take the bulb out instead of cutting the red wire?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CRZTRBO View Post
    What happens if you just take the bulb out instead of cutting the red wire?
    The outer most light will just not light up at all, including under braking. I left it in because I prefer to have more lights on back there. You also have the option of removing the metal connector in the bulb itself. That method is on my igotasti.com how-to, but I'll post it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    I wanted the same look, but didnt want to cut into my wire harness! I opted to "mod" the actual brake bulbs instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post

The "terminals" of the bulb are really just wires protruding from the bottom, and folded up the side. If you pry the wire away, then bend it a few times, the wire snaps off and the filament of the bulb will no longer light. I forget if it's the inner or outer connections on the 7443 bulb (i think it's the inner) that you need to break:

I think you might also be able to just use the 7440 bulb, but i haven't tried that yet.

When I get home I'll try to take a pic or two of my bulbs that ARENT the led ones.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

oooh I likey! Much better

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

doesn't that cause your blinkers to now flash erratically?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast