Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piston slap ?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Piston slap ?

So I looked this up. This has been occurring for over a year now only when its a cold start up

What do you guys think. ? Is it harmful ?

link to video i took this morning

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c...229_085607.mp4
    Last edited by wrxspeed56; 02-29-2012 at 03:34 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

AFAIK it's really just more noticeable because of the design of the boxer engine, nothing negative, more of a quirk IMO.
    2006 Legacy GT spec.B #132/500 - Stage III Infamous Tuned

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It is nothing to worry about

If you are really concerned then you can do a compression test to set your mind at ease but piston slap is common thin in these motors. No harm will come of it really. I suppose there may be long term effects but this should not present itself for some time. Piston slap can eventually wear away it the walls of the cylinder in an uneven fashion.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just posted a video. I'm only concerned because its pretty loud

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

so according to you guys i should be fine? as in long term how long is long term. because there is only 30k on this block

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Does it go away when it warms up or is it there all the time.

You should also be using a thicker oil due to the loose tolerances. 10W40 is what they recommend in most cases.

Also to minimize the noise you can use an oil that has a very high compression resistance like RedLine or Amsoil.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

it goes away as soon as the car warms up and I give it a rev or 2. Like in the video. I believe right now I'm using 10w30 unsure of brand I'm about to do an oil change

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Its ok then... just use 10W40 and consider one of the oil brands I mentioned. They are not cheap but well worth the money IMO. Plus you don't have to change them as often.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

How many miles do you have on the car? Every once in a while, an old and worn out timing belt tensioner will make an awful lot of noise when cold. If you haven't had your timing belt serviced recently, I would look into that as well. It also sounds like your A/C belt tensioner may need replacing

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TONYV View Post
    How many miles do you have on the car? Every once in a while, an old and worn out timing belt tensioner will make an awful lot of noise when cold. If you haven't had your timing belt serviced recently, I would look into that as well. It also sounds like your A/C belt tensioner may need replacing
    The car has 32k miles on it ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast