Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Problems

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Gas Problems

I have had the WRX for about 3 months now and have about 2.2k miles on. It says I'm getting 19.9 mgp, but I am trouble believing it lol. I fill up and the next day after only driving like 10 miles it at about 3/4 tank. Does this happen to anyone else? I wanna get some ideas before I take it to the dealer. Am I doing something wrong? I shift at about 3k and cruise at ~2.5k. This is my first AWD Turbo car btw..

Thanks.
    Last edited by Il Capitano; 02-28-2012 at 01:25 AM.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

19.9MPG isn't abnormal.

Do this. Fill your gas tank all the way (until the pump clicks) and reset your trip meter. Then drive it until the gas light turns on and fill it up the same way again. Take note how many miles you drove and divide that by how many gallons you just pumped (example : 325 miles divided by 13.832 gallons = 23.496MPG) and that will tell you your mpg.

Its best to fill up the second time at the same pump you did the first time.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sounds like a plan, I'll drive till the light turns on then. Ill keep this thread updated.
    Thanks John!

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I think you will find those MPG meters are pretty accurate. 19-24MPG is what I usually get depending on my driving style.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Also, with the tank gauge I wouldnt worry about that as much. I fill up and it takes almost 100 miles before it comes off the full mark. ANd my fozzy is a little different, takes about 70 miles till the needle moves but then hovers around 3/4-1/2 tank for 100 miles.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I know in the older Legacys the gas gauges are infamous for being inaccurate. I had one that would sit on E for 200 miles....I had another that would jump from full to 1/4 tank after 150 miles.......they are kind of hit or miss. The contacts on the float in the tank or whatever wear out on them. I don't know if its an issue with newer models or not though.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I know in the older Legacys the gas gauges are infamous for being inaccurate. I had one that would sit on E for 200 miles....I had another that would jump from full to 1/4 tank after 150 miles.......they are kind of hit or miss. The contacts on the float in the tank or whatever wear out on them. I don't know if its an issue with newer models or not though.
    There seems to be an issue with one of the sending units reading incorrectly. I haven't looked into it yet to find out exactly what is wrong, but I will be doing that soon as my car has had this problem for forever. I've only seen and heard of this issue on our older cars, and never on any of the newer cars.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Im at 3/4 tank right now with only 10 miles!!!!!! There must be something wrong here..

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Vapor lock maybe? Preventing full fillup?

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It clicks when I fill it full. I really don't know =/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast