Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RckyMtnLegacy's 93 Turbo 'SadPanda'

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RckyMtnLegacy's 93 Turbo 'SadPanda'

My third Legacy the 93 white turbo sedan is the one I have driven the least and spent the most money on sadly enough. I will do a quick remembrance post for my first two then get to my present wheels.

When my 1974 Gremlin was getting 9 mpg and my Toyota Tercel was uncool I found my first Subie which was a 1990 off-blue NA Sedan 5 speed bought from S-Wings in Denver, CO. I had fun with it went from this:

To this:

To this:

Then while checking the rally course at the COG Rally in Steamboat for the drivers I totally lost 2nd gear and then she kinda went down hill.
    My roommate needed a car so I convinced him to buy a 1993 Turbo sedan in Denver for $1900. I ran great and my idea was since he was not a Subaru guy (not racist but he is born in Jamaica and raised in Houston) I would buy it from him later on.
    When he bought it:

I was then on the lookout for a Turbo Subaru since all three of my roommates had a turbo (1992 240sx silvia, 1993 DSM, and the subie). So I found a White 1994 Turbo Wagon in Denver for $1400. When it got home I had already gotten the WRX rims from my first Subaru powder coated black so they immediately went on giving the wagon a whole new look and she because the 'Swagger Wagon'.
    Here she is first night:

Here is one just for fun (If you would like to see more I can make another thread else where just dont want to fill this with my other cars):

Well now I didn't need to buy my roommate's car I had a nice Wagon with a Turbo! I did have thoughts of racing the sedan and have the Wagon as the Parts/Tow car that matched the race car. Things began to happen and one thing led to another and he owed me over $1200 in rent and the sedan blew a head gasket, after he overheated it 20+ times which melted the reservoir, and then the radiator which he couldn't afford at all.

I then told him that I would wipe his debt from that moment back if he signed over the car. One pen stroke later I had 3 Subaru's in my driveway. Unfortunately while he owned it my other roommate spun out in a tunnel on ice and busted up the drivers side fender and front bumper of course being the hardest ones to find.

Life changes kinda make having so many cars kinda hard. I graduated in CO and my girl in TX and she landed a big job with Lockheed so I chose to move there. I decided I wanted to rock the sedan because it looked sportier and I had ideas for it. I sold the blue sedan to my buddy for $600 and then a guy drove a long way and gave me $1350 cash for the wagon same day too which gave me a week to pack, get a truck and trailer, move out, and get the head gasket done before I left for TX. I did it with help from a friend in a weekend:

Put it all together and she drove great but had a coolant leak somewhere that I could not find along with an oil leak I figured it was a hose or a gasket somewhere that was toast from being overheated over and over. after the long drive south.

I got the coolant leak to stop but oil was still dripping. My knock sensor was throwing a code too but I planned to fix that later. One day just minding my own business and getting onto the highway a nice loud pop came from the SadPanda and she belted out white smoke all over the highway. I coasted to a parking lot and oil was everywhere. Fender, air filter, vac. lines for turbo, maf was caked. A guy stopped and helped me clean it up to get it started and we figured it was bad rings or my turbo had wanted out finally. We got here cleaned up and putted home where she puked all her oil out onto my driveway. I started taking bits off to see what was up. I figured it was inside the engine because white smoke would spew out of the oil dipstick tube when it was running so the crankcase was getting pressure. I did a compression test and and found the problem:

More pics of my build soon I decided to go a little further than just fixing one problem. I will update soon.
    Thanks

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Great story! Subscribed!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Gosh, I love the old Legacy SS. They are one of my favorite Subaru's ever made. Can't wait for more updates!

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Love it! Welcome!

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks. That was just the beginning it has seen more excitement since and I will post up soon.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So I took the engine apart finding oil in everything.

Oil oil everywhere

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

After having the most fun pulling the engine

After taking it all apart and making my own tool to get the pins out I found an interesting problem I have never seen before (Not that I have taken many of these apart)

The "sleeve" had spun. Everyone I talked to said these are not sleeved and I agree but how does something with no sleeve in it spin? I went over all kinds of scenarios to figure out why and if I could use this block again. I am still wondering if the block can be used since it did not show problems on this cylinder and it could have been like this since 1993 for all I know.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Time for Darton Iron sleeves!

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Off topic but Boondock Saints FTW! Have that same poster
    2006 Legacy GT spec.B #132/500 - Stage III Infamous Tuned

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Once it was completely in pieces this is the cause of the compression dropping to 0 and sharing oil with the rest of the engine

It did not hurt the rest of the block but I was still worried that the spun sleeve could be a problem. So in the trunk I had another block I found in CO a few years before at a yard that hated Subarus and sold me a long block for 200 bucks (should have been a little more cautious but $200? I had too). I took the new block apart and it had four straight cylinders but it did have its own problem:

And it had a crank that was toast. Pistons, 3 rods, cylinders, and heads were fine and the cylinders still showed cross hatching. No idea what happened to it maybe water in the cylinder? No idea but the rod looks great on my desk at work. I took the block and a ton of pieces to work for weeks and had them cleaned in our Cummins parts washer. It fit the entire block inside also.

I got the blocks as clean as i could with some help:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast