Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Pluckin'. Can I use nylon tie-down strap webbing or should I buy a chain?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine Pluckin'. Can I use nylon tie-down strap webbing or should I buy a chain?

Title says it all (almost). It's my first time doing it. Don't want to drop my EJ22T on my toes.

I have an engine hoist and have an engine stand to put it on. I just want some more info as to what I need as far as straps/chains needed to attach the block to the hoist for removal. I'm just remving the block, not the transmission.
    Last edited by monkeyposeur; 02-14-2012 at 01:14 AM.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

honestly, you can use an old seat belt wrapped around the intake manifold. Thats how we moved a few blocks around my garage. These things are mostly aluminum so they weigh next to nothing.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Chain chafes and rubs though.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

true!

Sorry, not trying to argue. I deal with slings, chains, lifting straps as part of my daily job.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

haha touche!

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I just pulled an engine out of a car at the junkyard the other day....actually engine and transmission as one whole piece. Once I had all of it out I separated it (it was easier that way)...anways, I went inside the car and cut off part of the seat belt and tied it around the intake manifold on each side and hooked the chain from the cherry picker to it. It did just fine holding all the weight. I've also done the same thing with ratchet tie down straps with good luck (don't use the hooks though....they will bend....just tie knots in the nylon around the manifold and let the hooks hang freely).

If you don't want to do that, you can adjust the chain on the cherry picker so two ends are hanging down...and remove an intake manifold bolt from each side (or any other decent size bolt for that matter) and pass the bolt through the end chain link on each side and thread it back into the hole as far as you can

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cool! This is good info.

I bought this thingy for $40 today you can clip on to the cherry picker. It has a crank that allows you to adjust the center of gravity of the block. It is basically a bar with two chains that hang down and a long threaded bolt that you can crank to tip the engine one way or another. Maybe it is overkill and I will just take it back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast