Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting / Electrical problem after transmission install [SOLVED]

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Starting / Electrical problem after transmission install [SOLVED]

I just got done replacing my transmission and clutch. Hooked everything back up how it was (correctly).

With the keys out of the car, as soon as I connect the battery I hear the solenoid in the starter click and stay engaged (starter is not spinning though). Keep in mind that this is completely independant of if I have the key in the car or not. If I try and start the car, nothing happens.

One strange thing that happens as well is the auto door locks engage as soon as I hook up the battery. If I leave the battery hooked up for more than a few seconds, the starter will start to smoke.

I have no idea whats going on with this. I disconnected the battery before I started doing any work to avoid shorting anything. I didn't pinch any wires....everything looks good...blah blah blah.

Whats going on?

96 Outback 5MT 2.2L
    Last edited by John; 03-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Check your grounds! You had to miss something.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Look to make sure the starter is grounded correctly. It's the one thing I missed when putting my engine and everything back in. Had the same problem.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Wow... thats weird. Im gonna be no help here but Im curious

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Everything was grounded right....all electricals were right....what it wound up being was the starter. I guess when I either broke lose the positive lead or tightened it back up the stud for it spun some and made an internal short.

I put in a new starter and everything was good to go. I have never once seen that happen lol

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well Ive never seen anyone break a spring before either...

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Oh it gets better. Our test drive was some dirt roads outside of the city.

We came across a river/stream. It was in our way so I just went through it.

Shorted out the O2 sensor connector in the water and that made the fusible link for the ECU blow.

Disconnected the O2s , took off a door panel to getspeaker wire....and ghetto bypassed the fusible link to get home.

All fixed now!

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I applaud your skills, all the while sit mouth agape wondering how in the HELL you break some of the things you do!

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I didn't have any tools either lol. Just a BIC lighter, flashlight, razor, and screw driver....and my Bluetooth OBDII connector for my phone.

It was interesting

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    ....and my Bluetooth OBDII connector for my phone.
    Do what?! Where can I find me one of these? What all can it do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast