Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tranny upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

tranny upgrades

what can i do to beef up the transmission that is on my car? its still the stock 04 wrx transmission and ive heard that putting stage 2 clutches can be bad for the transmission. Is this true?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Agreed. For what it would cost you to pay someone to beef up your WRX tranny with stronger gears you probably could just get an STi tranny and be good up to 700+ HP. Not to mention another gear which is nice for highway driving.

If you want to do the work yourself and save money, I have heard *rumors* that there are kits for the WRX tranny that beef it up almost to the STi strength level. Ive never seen one, like I said... rumors. That could be an option, or it could be more expensive. Who knows! I am doing a swap into my suby, so I am also shopping for an STi tranny so I understand where your coming from since my stock Legacy tranny is as about as strong as the transmission on a Model T let us know what you decide to do and we will all help you get your suby to where you want it to be!

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

i have heard of a lot of people swappin to an sti transmission so that must work. im not lookin to get above 350hp but id rather not have to put out to buy a new transmission in an emergency. at least i can look now and still drive it for a bit... what would i have to do to swap the transmissions what all has to be swapped?

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm not sure exactly since I dont have a WRX, but it might bolt right it!

Im sure one of the tech guys will see this and chime in soon enough.

On a side note, Kenny Block used the stock STi tranny in his rally car from what I heard. Thats just an example as to how awesome that tranny is!

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

wow yeah i wont be doin anything like that. i was just on a parts site with live chat and he says i need the whole transmission flywheel and shifter linkage

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

hopefully someone has done this swap and can help me out with what all ill need and give me an idea how much i will be spending

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

my clutch is a pull type that i just put in... so the flywheels are diff for an sti? is the dccd something that is really necessary? is this goin to be kinda pricey?

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

so i would need a different clutch then two? i figured it would be a little less if i got a used transmission.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The tranny will be probably the most expensive upgrade. I know personally I am planning on $4000 for my STi tranny swap alone. almost twice what my fully forged EJ257 will cost for me to build!

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing. ill have to start savin up... and lookin for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast