Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: VF40 Club

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

VF40 Club

Anyone in the VF40 Club? If you know what this means, then I'm sorry to hear that.

For those of you that don't know what this means, it just means that you've had experience with the VF40 Turbo ruining your day/life. If your VF40 decided to eat your motor, post a short story explaining what led up to that happening & if you were able to replace said turbo.

My VF40 experience happened in March of 2011. A Friend & I were on our way to the mountains to go snowboarding, when we heard whining from under the hood, we only had about 15 miles to go before we got to our destination & what really are we supposed to do in the sticks in Vermont at 7am? So we got to the mountain & the car was very shoddy, stalling out, whiny, no pull, and then we parked, carried on with our day, nothing else we could do at this point. At the end of our day snowboarding, we get in the car, starts right up, drive it straight to the dealership 20 miles away...where they give me the bummer news after they drained the oil pan & found metal shards....Anyways, the dealership had my car for 27 days, and all work was covered through the Extended Warranty I bought with the car. Keep in mind this happened ay 52k miles with everything stock except a CBE.
    Last edited by John; 12-10-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: merged double post

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

27 days!

WOW!

I can do that work in a day and source local parts! Did the bottom end of the engine get torn up too from the metal shavings?

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The work can be done really quickly, It was all cat & mouse with the auditor coming to take pics of the tear down (a week went by before any progress), then i guess some parts came from Japan, which some sort of paper gaskets were sent & they wanted a different kind....so yeah...i was itching by the time I got it back, but if it had went 3 more days, I would have definitely filed papers for lemon law.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

138,700 on the stock turbo and motor.
    running Cobb Stg2 OTS map since 106,000

guess i got lucky, and got a good motor/turbo

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hrm.. I was using a VF40 for a short while and it seemed just fine. That sucks you had to deal with that... I don't understand why it took the stealership 27 days to diagnose and fix that. Shoulda' been done in like 5 days max....

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eekay View Post
    Hrm.. I was using a VF40 for a short while and it seemed just fine. That sucks you had to deal with that... I don't understand why it took the stealership 27 days to diagnose and fix that. Shoulda' been done in like 5 days max....
    It was diagnosed in about 5 minutes...but this is a little piss ant town in Vermont, that didn't have the resources as larger cities....they were also given the run-around from parts companies.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ah. Of course... Everything is fixed, up and running now, though, correct?

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yeah, this was back in March. I've since only put on about 5k since then.