Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ups and Downs of OBDI and OBDII

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Ups and Downs of OBDI and OBDII

well i am debating whether to upgrade my ecu to OBDII on my 1991 Legacy but I dont know if it would be better or just too much extra work.......

What do you guys think?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Is the car a daily driver?

You might squeeze a few MPG due to better fuel control but a lot of work is involved. Swapping sensors, wiring harness merge, more wiring, more sensors....blah blah blah

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

no its not my dd lol it is parked in the garage now that we just baught the wife a minivan lol so i have time to get things done to it lol. i just didnt know if it was worth it. OBDII hass the Cobb Accessport and OBDI has....well nothing that i can find tuning wise.....

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Is it a turbo Legacy? If thats the case, for the trouble you will go through upgrading to OBDII, you're likely better off just running a basic stand alone ECU like Megasquirt (www.diyautotune.com). You will be able to do much more with a setup like that.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

well it will be turbo lol i have the TD04 sitting on the workbench. yea i was hoping to get to that XD whether OBDII or standalone would be better XD

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just go with a stand alone....it will be almost the same cost as converting to OBDII, and its a much better system. Take a serious look at Megasquirt. Ive used it before and loved it. It can control just about everything (flat shifting, nitrous, forced induction, launch control, etc)

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

ok i will definitely look into megasquirt. that mod is a little ways out but definitely will research it thanks John