Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Brake upgrade

Im looking at options for my 98 Outback. Obviously I know about the WRX front and the H6 rear brakes being bolt on but what about a big brake kit for an 04 STi or 02-07 WRX. I imagine that they would fit right?

What would be the biggest issue I would have if I went big brake in the front and left my rear stock size or similar?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAC Wagon View Post
    What would be the biggest issue I would have if I went big brake in the front and left my rear stock size or similar?
    If you left the stock brakes in the back the increased braking power in the front would cause a significant amount of nosedive due to the differential in braking power. in turn if the braking power is not balanced right it will cause overheating of the brakes, brake fade, pad glaze, etc etc etc i could go on lol. if you are going to do a big brake upgrade be sure to do all 4. and definitely upgrade your fluid as well to something like ATE Super Blue

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I am pretty certain you can switch up to STi brakes. I believe the mounting is the same, you just have to move up to 17" wheels.
    Haters gon' hate

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I run 17's already. I think the rear brackets are different though, arent they?

John?

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

You have to get caliper brackets regardless! Unless you are referring to where the brackets mount up on the ?control arm?
    I think someone at the old site found that STi control arms also would bolt on, but then you'd have to get STi endlinks and bushings.
    Haters gon' hate

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yeah, if you're upgrading your brakes go with a Wilwood WRX package or STi Brembo's

Stock WRX brakes or H6 rears won't be very much of an upgrade for you OB for it to be worth the money you'd spend.

If you want to install the Brembo's you need not only 17" rims but the offset has to give enough clearance as well.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Jack got the stoptech kit for the legacy and likes it a lot. Drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Add in steel lines and MC brace I think would be a good upgrade. Im more concerned with the motor build right now. and I need to do brakes as my rears make noise like they are down to the wear bar.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Where'd you get the stop tech kit from? I'm planning on upgraded my brakes in the next few months when the pads run out.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It was on autoanything... ill find it and link it up.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast