Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 2.5 Turbo or 3.0 Flat Six?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2.5 Turbo or 3.0 Flat Six?

I'm interested to know what people think about both engines. My car will be paid off at the end of the year and then I will be saving up money as I am interested in getting rid of my stock engine & transmission. I have the basic 4 cylinder available for the 2006 model year with a 4EAT. I live in Florida with some interesting drivers. I was thinking TURBO with a 5EAT. But I also like the idea of the flat six. I am by no means a race car driver, but do tend to take after my grandmother (god rest her soul) who had a heavy driving foot. My car is great due to it being very quick and manueverable, but I wouldn't mind some extra horses. I am not interested in buying a new Legacy, as I am not fond of the front end. That, and they discontinued the wagon. I love my car and am thinking down the road about this so as I might be able to keep it longer. Any insight/info/opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with the H6 especially if you supercharge it but finding a wrx or STi for swap will be easier and cheaper I bet.

I am in the process of sourcing parts for my 98 outback to do an STi swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The EJ257 is definitely the way to go. The EG30 and 33 parts are way more expensive and harder to find. I had a svx with the eg30 and it was a wallet whore

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am new to the whole engine replacing scene. I looked up the EJ257 and I think that is definitely something I can sink my teeth into! Thanks ShiftHappensLTi!! Is it better to stay with a 4EAT or upgrade to a 5EAT. Not really interested in a manual transmission. And where would I find these items and someone to install? Or how do I go about finding someone? Thanks!

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm not very versed in auto trans'. So I couldnt help much with that. If one gas an extra gear I would go with the extra gear lol

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

If you're looking for a lot of horsepower (250+) than automatics are likely going to be problematic for you.

Why are you opposed to a manual?

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Not really opposed to manual. I would have learned to drive one if I had stayed in Vermont. But here in Florida I am in a lot of stop and go traffic. I'm not sure I would get the full benefit of it. If there was less congestion I wouldn't mind. My current transmission is set up w/manual, I have never used it. Thanks!

8. Likes thtguymike liked this post