Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johns 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 5MT

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Johns 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 5MT

This is my 5th Subaru. I've had a passion for these cars for years now. I've done everything with them from track time, daily driving, mountain runs, mudding, trail riding, towing, pulling cars out of ditches in the snow, etc. I have never once had any kinds of major issues with any Subaru I've owned....Its come to the point now that they are really all I buy.

I've had (in order)
    1993 Legacy L 4EAT - all stock
    1997 Legacy GT 5MT - stock w/ suspension work and stage 1 clutch
    1995 Legacy L - EJ20R swap, STI v3 5MT, stand alone, rotated, FMIC, etc
    1998 Legacy Outback - all stock on WRX suspension

I added the newest one to my laundry list of Subarus today. Its a 1996 Outback 5MT.

Outbacks are very VERY common, but this one is a little special. Somewhat of a rare car.

Its equipped with 5MT (already uncommon enough), but its the only year the outback was available with the indestructible EJ22. There are very few Outbacks out there that came out of the factory with an EJ22. As well, I'm rocking heated seats, heated mirrors, factory tweeters, and probably more goodies I haven't figured out yet.

I basically stole this car. I paid $1400 for it. Nothing major wrong with it. It runs excellent and rides smooth. However there are a few minor things I need to attend too. There is a little bit of rust here and there...but its not that bad at all. The only visible rust on the body is on the rear driver side fender. There is a spot about the size of a penny. Undercarriage looks great, but there is rust on some of the engine bay parts. Nothing too alarming though. The front right brake is dragging...I don't know if the caliper is bad or if the pins are sticking from lack of grease. I'll dig into it tomorrow and figure it out. There are a few small dings and dents here and there....most of them can be pushed out pretty easily. The last thing is the check engine light. One of the o2s is unplugged??? Its throwing a O2 code. I've fixed that already and cleared the codes. Hopefully the code doesn't come back.

Other than that its great. The interior looks brand new. The inside of the car appears to have always been kept very clean. The pain is glossy with no major scratches or anything. Headlights are in great shape and show no oxidation on them. Car runs and drives excellent. It has all the power that it should, shifts great, excellent throttle response, smooth ride, etc.

The best thing about this car is its 100% un-molested. Bone stock. I have a fresh plate to start with!

Anyways, here are a few pictures. I'll be keeping this thread updated as I go.

I'm unsure of what direction I'll take this car. It will either be lowered on a decent set of coilovers, swaybars, and a turbo swap...or I'll go the opposite direction and lift it up some. I'm not sure what I want yet.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Awesome!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I likey!

Glad you got another suby John, and I love that its an OB!

I vote you drop it

Then buy a fozzy and lift that

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Nice wagon though personally I prefer the first Gen BJ body. Those look a lil to grocery getter for me but still sweet subie

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Oh nice, I see you got that Wagon you were telling me about! Time to make it baller status...and lift it. Offroading, shall we?

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftHappensLTi View Post
    Nice wagon though personally I prefer the first Gen BJ body. Those look a lil to grocery getter for me but still sweet subie
    Ohh reeeeeally? Good thing I got this sticker!

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Haha love it Adam.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm already looking for a new transmission. Gear oil is puking out of the bell housing....soaking the clutch and making it slip like hell....Either a cracked case, input shaft seal, or input shaft bearing?

Regardless, if its even repairable I'll have to split the trans to do the work...something I'm not certain if I'm comfortable doing....so I'm looking for a new trans.

So the car is sitting and not going anywhere right now until I can afford a clutch kit and a new transmission. Just my luck huh?

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Damn bud, if I was ready to do my STi tranny swap right now I would just give you my 5mt

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have the subie up and running on borrowed time and a slipping clutch lol.

Im buying a clutch kit and transmission on Friday and dropping it in same day.

I haven't done anything major to it. I painted the wheels because they had a bunch of corrosion on them. I fixed the sticking brakes (lubed hardware), washed it, tune up, and other little things.

I took it for a little mountain cruise today. It was loads of fun and I found other Subarus!

Last edited by John; 02-05-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast