Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ABS light on - Brakes locked down - 96 Outback

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

ABS light on - Brakes locked down - 96 Outback

Just bought this car for dirt cheap....so no biggie. I knew it had brake problems, so I'm not surprised by this.

The ABS light is on...car was stopping alright, but it seemed like the ABS pump would kick on at times when it shouldn't...as well, the brakes were dragging just a little bit...enough to stop the car from rolling when you feather off the clutch, but not enough to keep you from moving.

Now, the brakes are locked down, I have to give the car hell to get it to move. Brake pedal is almost rock solid (indicating brakes are locked against the rotors).

Any ideas before I start tearing things apart? My plans just from symptoms are to lube all the hardware and make sure none of the calipers are hung up. And maybe pull the ABS fuse.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

There could be a malfunction in the ABS valve. If everything else checks out ie calipers, try pulling thee fuse should the lock up still occur the i would recommend bypassing that block or ic u are really attached to yourabs replace it. If u bypass it be sure to pull your cluster out and remove the bulb for that pesky light or ull be staring that ugly little orange light in the face for the forseeable future lol

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I don't like ABS at all. So I would be happy to rid the car of it....however all the hard lines and master.cylinder would need to be changed in order to properly remove ABS.

I jacked up the car and its only the front right hanging up. I don't have any tools....or even a lug wrench here at home to take anything apart....I'll be diving into it tomorrow.

For now it seems like after a few hundred.feet of driving the brake lets go....so I think it my just be the pins getting hung up. Wire brush and lube will hopefully take care of it.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

John, if it wasnt for hard luck you wouldnt have no luck at all it seems huh ?

Let me know if I can help in any way.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yea wirebrusb and lube should do it if just the sliders are sticking. Helpful hint use a battery post cleaning brush to clean out the holes. The side post brush is good for that