Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Subaru Losing Power

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Subaru Losing Power

Hey People, I have a 97 Subaru Forester, my problem is that 10 minutes after starting it starts to drop rev's and loses power and starts coughing black smoke while im driving, I have to rev it hard out for a while to stop the problem. It is a intermittent fault, I have taken it to our local Subaru dealer and work shop and they have found no engine codes or boost leaks, I have change the fuel to 98 high octane, they also suggested it could be the pod filter, which I have changed to a K & N filter and still the problem happens. Can some one please help a fellow Subaru lover, regards 7Deuce

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

No boost leaks? You're not turbo charged.

If its puffing out a bunch of black smoke, you have an internal engine problem. You need to do a compression and leakdown test.

As well, someone needs to take a look at the PIDs to make sure they check out OK.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

First one of the mods may want to move this to right section...

Pull your plugs and see what they look like, let us know or even post a pic on here...Almost sounds like the car is loading up on fuel, Is there anything done to the car at all??

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zach@TTLM View Post
    First one of the mods may want to move this to right section.
    Done

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hopefully its not too bad, keep us updated and let us know if you need more help!

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7Deuce View Post
    Hey People, I have a 97 Subaru Forester, my problem is that 10 minutes after starting it starts to drop rev's and loses power and starts coughing black smoke while im driving, I have to rev it hard out for a while to stop the problem. It is a intermittent fault, I have taken it to our local Subaru dealer and work shop and they have found no engine codes or boost leaks, I have change the fuel to 98 high octane, they also suggested it could be the pod filter, which I have changed to a K & N filter and still the problem happens. Can some one please help a fellow Subaru lover, regards 7Deuce
    Hi all, newbie here. I recently got a 99 Subaru Impreza WRX and have the same symptoms as 7Deuce. Mine does the losing power and black smoke after 20 mins. I wonder if the OP have sorted out his problems and would like to share how the problem was solved? I sincerely hope it's not costly to fix. Thanks.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Not sure, the OP never posted again

Make your own thread with your issues and we will help you out!

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Hi all, newbie here. I recently got a 99 Subaru Impreza WRX and have the same symptoms as 7Deuce. Mine does the losing power and black smoke after 20 mins. I wonder if the OP have sorted out his problems and would like to share how the problem was solved? I sincerely hope it's not costly to fix. Thanks.
    as Jac Wagon said do a thread with your own problem and please let us know of your mods, when you notice the issues happening. The more details the better. So we can help narrow down the possabilities..

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I have now created a new thread here

http://www.igotasubaru.com/showthrea...9047#post19047