Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EJ257 hybrid?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

EJ257 hybrid?

Im looking into doing an STi swap into Brooke with my tax refund. I found an EJ257 and am curious what you guys think about a hybrid build with 2.0 heads and a bigger than stock turbo. Comments and opinions welcomed!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The EJ205 heads (02-03 WRX) are a great match for the 257 block.

What are your horsepower goals? That will play the biggest factor in your build options....as well as budget

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Budget is the biggest factor. I am looking for at least 200 to the wheels hopefully? But a tight budget restricts that. But if I can cut corners now to get the swap done I can always upgrade later (gt30 turbo, ect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

That shouldnt be a problem at all to reach 200 whp..u should be over this.

The biggest thing is making sure you have the block and heads machined together to get a good seal. Also I recommend using a good headgasket set. Cometic actually has a set for this they designed for the hybrid builds like this. Also I know you are on budget, but when you are doing this upgrade your cam gears...I have seen the plastic cam gears on the 2.0L heads break and that will leave you a head full of bent valves. Brian Crower has Billet Cam Gears for this, they look pretty and will hold better. Also if I can find someone with a set of timing covers willing to donate them for R&D I would like to make a set of custom covers to start marketing...I will even provide a set of covers to the personn donating..

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

What do you mean? Im willing to donate to help but unclear what your making exactly...

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

I am more talking about the DOHC engines like the WRX and STi that use the plastic cam gears.. far as replacing those. Far as making timing covers, I want to do this for both the DOHC the SOHC engines and as well as non subbie engines...

I am looking at getting the front covers to work on making see in covers to show the timing components at work.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ohhh ok I think I get it now

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I had DOHC covers not long ago. You should have spoken up sooner. Can you hit a local junkyard?

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

most of the ones I have found at the junkyard are busted up because they have been in front end collisions...

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So after talking with John and a few others I am going to do just the engine swap for now and the rest later since it bolts up. I am still considering which engine build to do but I am getting excited for any of them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast