Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EJ257 hybrid?

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

John, saw this on subaruforester.org

"Headers/Cat-pipes and mid pipes are interchangeable between 93-01' Imprezas and 98-02' foresters. Exact same pipes, meaning any aftermarket header, high flow cat, or mid pipe for the impreza will bolt right up to your forester. Axlebacks are a bit different, as the impreza is shorter, so you may have to use XL exhaust hangers or get the tip extended to come flush with the bumper. Stromung makes a forester specific muffler, and some people are modding WRX and STI cat backs to fit. I would stay away from WRX aftermarket exhausts on an n/a subaru, as the piping is too big and you will lose power/torque. *06+ N/A subies have a different header/catpipe set up. The older style headers and HFC pipes will not work on 06+ subarus*"

2. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

If I do a hybrid build with EJ257 block, and EJ20 heads would I get a Cobb tuner for the 20 or the 257? A buddy has a cobb tuner V1 for 04 STi he would let me have for cheap.

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

"Headers/Cat-pipes and mid pipes are interchangeable between 93-01' Imprezas and 98-02' foresters. Exact same pipes, meaning any aftermarket header, high flow cat, or mid pipe for the impreza will bolt right up to your forester. Axlebacks are a bit different, as the impreza is shorter, so you may have to use XL exhaust hangers or get the tip extended to come flush with the bumper. Stromung makes a forester specific muffler, and some people are modding WRX and STI cat backs to fit. I would stay away from WRX aftermarket exhausts on an n/a subaru, as the piping is too big and you will lose power/torque. *06+ N/A subies have a different header/catpipe set up. The older style headers and HFC pipes will not work on 06+ subarus*"
    This is correct, also check with your local exhaust shops. Having an exhaust bent for this wouldn't be expensive and it would be made exact fit no modifications less chance for leaks, and be sure to look good.

I would have to double check which AP you would need exactly for this.

4. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well John and I were talking about my 01 fozzy and of it was the EJ25D or the EJ251 so I could hopefully use my UEL header off my outback but I doubt it. I think it's a EJ251.

Also, once I do the engine swap, I'm gonna try and go straight pipe or maybe a resonator mid pipe. Both of which will be a custom build. There's a few exhaust shops around my house. He already quoted me $120 to bend a pipe for my cat back straight exhaust. But at this point I'm gonna wait and do the engine swap first.

John, I still haven't been able to find that thread that discussed the differences between the EJ257 and the EJ255.

Zach do you know off hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Top Of Page | #15
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Here are a few differences I know of
    Pistons
    EJ257: -22cc dish
    EJ255: -24cc dish.

The piston shape is the same except the dish profile is different to accommodate the the different volumes. The STi has a dome in the center of the piston that is 1.7mm from the top of the crown. The EJ255 has a dome that is 3.3mm from the top of the crown. Other than dome height, the dish profile is identical. Floor depth is the same at 4.75mm and the valve reliefs are identical.

I also know the heads flow is different

6. Top Of Page | #16
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So can I use a 255 for a build? What are the goods and bads for the different piston domes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

8. Top Of Page | #18
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So are you a fan of the hybrid build then Gino?

9. Top Of Page | #19
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Are you saying you have the ECU and Harness for sale?

10. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Herro?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast