Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: STi swap into Outback

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

STi swap into Outback

Im leaning towards doing my STi swap with my tax refund this year.

I have found an 04 STi short block for about $800 (shipped, from Florida) with 49K miles. It looks good but the pistons are dirty and looks like it needs to be cleaned and pistons replaced. What would you do?

Im thinking either clean it up best I can, install it in the wagon and be happy with a turbo!

Im also considering swapping out pistons for forged pistons or maybe even bore it out and sleeve it so I can adjust boost from mild to "freakin retarded, so hang on!"

thoughts and opinions appreciated!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Used pistons will always be dirty
    ...just carbon buildup. That's normal.

One thing to consider is the EJ257 is bad about cracking the ringlands. So forged pistons would be a really good idea while the engine is open....just to avoid problems later on down the road

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Keep looking for a short block... I found one last year on ****** for $300 in perfect shape. $800 for a used stock block that needs work is a bit much IMO. Check CraigsList and your local dealers and shops. My local dealer was willing to give me a complete block free of charge just to get it out of there. It just needed machining and new pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by JAC Wagon View Post
    Im leaning towards doing my STi swap with my tax refund this year.

I have found an 04 STi short block for about $800 (shipped, from Florida) with 49K miles. It looks good but the pistons are dirty and looks like it needs to be cleaned and pistons replaced. What would you do?

Im thinking either clean it up best I can, install it in the wagon and be happy with a turbo!

Im also considering swapping out pistons for forged pistons or maybe even bore it out and sleeve it so I can adjust boost from mild to "freakin retarded, so hang on!"

thoughts and opinions appreciated!

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Damn good info bro thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk