Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gasoline smell

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

gasoline smell

Hey guys!

So the latest in my subaru saga....now that it's gotten super cold, my outback has decided to produce a gasoline smell coming from the front of the car. It only seems to do this when it's really cold out- above freezing and you can't smell it at all.

I took it in to get it looked at to see if it had a fuel leak about 10 days ago and they couldn't find anything, then I didn't smell it at all (I guess because it warmed up?) Well now it's cold again and the smell has returned.

Ideas?

(otherwise she is running just fine)

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

That is very strange.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Update: 33 degrees today...drove 4 blocks to the bank. Smelled a faint whiff of gasoline while idling at the atm but then it was gone. When I got home and turned on the vents, got another stronger whiff of gas then it was gone. Even sitting and revving the engine I couldn't reproduce the smell either inside the car or standing outside.

My roommate (who is pretty car savvy) couldn't smell anything either. He thinks it could be a fuel line that is sweating intermittently. Does this sound like it could be a possible scenario? He says he'll replace the fuel filter for me. His explanation sounded like it could be right to me but I don't know cars that well

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

How much gas is in the tank?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

This is actually a common issue noticed by subaru owners during cold weather. Subaru at one point did a recall for certian models for this samething.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I am catless. Does the presence of feline hair keep the gas fumes from leaking out?

Little less than a quarter tank today. My gas mileage has gotten worse since moving to Lexington, if that's relevant. There's been a lot of work done since then including when I took it in to get the fuel system inspected for leaks. On the highway I'm still getting around 28 but I figured it was a lot more city driving than I've done since owning it than brought the normal mileage down from 24/25 to 21.

I won't worry too much about it then unless it does it when it warms up in the next few days

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

You're likely not leaking gas but you're venting out gas fumes from some where through a very minor leak in a line. Subaru did issue a recall for this but it was only on the Imprezas. I don't remember the specifics of the recall either. You can call any Subaru dealers service department and get an answer on what it was.

Personally I would check the ends of the rubber fuel lines going to the fuel filter first because that is a common culprit on any car....especially those with rubber lines like yours.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread but sounds like something I seel quite often at the dealer when it starts getting cold every year. The rubber lines start to get hard over time and the clamps just dont get tight enough to seal them properly. The most common place I found to leak is on the passenger side at the front of the head. Theres a place there where the rubber line starts to seep fuel and it drips on to the warm engine and evaporates pretty fast which is why you never see a leak. I have even seen the metal line start to leak a little in that spot as well. Easiest thing to do is want untill its reallly cold again and watch the fuel lines while you have someone start the car and if any start to get damp you found the leak.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madmeridius View Post
    I know this is an old thread but sounds like something I seel quite often at the dealer when it starts getting cold every year. The rubber lines start to get hard over time and the clamps just dont get tight enough to seal them properly. The most common place I found to leak is on the passenger side at the front of the head. Theres a place there where the rubber line starts to seep fuel and it drips on to the warm engine and evaporates pretty fast which is why you never see a leak. I have even seen the metal line start to leak a little in that spot as well. Easiest thing to do is want untill its reallly cold again and watch the fuel lines while you have someone start the car and if any start to get damp you found the leak.
    This is happening on my car as we speak. Good info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast