Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck with speaker installation

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Job's all finished!

The rear door speakers were quite rooted, no wonder they sounded like they were farting:

The rear door holes are slightly smaller than the fronts, a 6 inch rear speaker would have fit much better than the 6.5 inch for future reference.

Old speaker out, moused the new speaker cable through using my trusty old cat5 and a kebab stick again ;D

The rear door jam hoses were far FAR easier to mouse cables through, not such a tight fit ;D

Got the rear splitter installed and soldered up to the rear left output :>

Since my speakers were slightly too big for the rear door holes I decided to use the plastic bracket from the stock speakers as a spacer to make them easier to mount, I cut the tabs off of the back and then glued to the speaker mount:

With the seat belt base unbolted (top bolt 10mm bottom 14mm, just hung it around instead on unplugging) I could slide the splitter box up above where the seatbelt base sits, I made sure that it was stuck in a way that it would not touch the seatbelt itself just in case.

It only went up to the middle space which has a cover over it which was more than enough. The tweeter cable run down to the carpet as I would soon discover the nightmare subaru had bestowed upon me.

I made a mistake, a mistake that I normally wouldn't. This mistake was going in to do something with the predetermined idea that it must have been done this way:

This is the set of cables that runs down the left hand side of the car to the boot space, which is where I though the rear left tweeter cable must run. WROOOONG. Instead I cut a pair of cables that I thought must be the right cables due to their thickness and the colours I was expecting not being in the bunch at all, small zap to myself later I was soon to learn that I was an idiot. I did get some gel filled special cable bridging tab things off of a friend that works in telco that fixed it up, huge thanks to him as he also loaned me this amazing tool:

With this you attach the red pair onto cables and use the left hand wand to follow the signal to trace the cable. I chucked it on the tweeter cable to discover that.... the rear left tweeter cable ran down with the right hand side of the boots cabling

The rear left and rear right tweeter cabling:

I'm holding the rear right, rear left is under my middle finger. I ran the rear lefts cabling under the the carpet (thanks to the suggestion from telco friend xD) back to the left rear splitter. How I did this part was cut the direct output to the rear left and rear right and re soldered to feed directly from the splitters as intended.

Onto the tweeter replacement now, trim removed (two screws, rest is clips.) Screwed the tweeter on that way so that it would hold still while I soldered the cable up:

The tweeter had to sit on the same angle as the trim to fit, flat like the original and there was no show of that fitting in. Rear left and right installed now:

The covers fit over the tweeters JUST although forgot to get a photo lol

Either way the setup sounds really really great, really happy with the result

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Glad it worked out!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CRZTRBO View Post
    Glad it worked out!
    Yeah definitely a bit more work than I had planned but so so worth it

Next on the list is installing the gtb white mud flaps and replacing the front projectors (since mine are repaire from cracking by previous derp owner) then HID I go

4. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, I too have this job with my project, But there is a huge hole where a touch screen will fit and im doing all the door cards as well. Good catch on the window "fur", thats something im going to have to look into. All in all im going to have to run all new wire and replacing everything. Good write up man, thanks for the pictures.

5. Top Of Page | #15
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I did my door cards myself. I was surprised how well they turned out haha. And they match perfectly with my leather shift boot and stuff from redline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12