Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: How do I make this car into a truck?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How do I make this car into a truck?

Yeah it's a bit of a clickbait title :P

I use my 96 legacy wagon LS 2.2 as my daily/work car, and I carry a fair amount of tools and stuff around (not more than maybe 300lbs), which makes the rear sag a lot, more than the typical saggy rear. My shocks are all bad, and I've been deliberating about what to do for a couple weeks. I thought I'd make a thread and ask.

So if my car sags because I've got too much weight in it, the cure for that would be stiffer springs in the rear, right? Along with replacing the shocks of course.

The shocks I'm planning on going with are KYB GR-2's, and I can get all four of them for $250 shipped from Rockauto.

Where might I get some springs that preserve stock suspension geometry, but are stiffer?

Instead of buying springs and shocks, I could go for a budget set of coilovers, namely Raceland WRX GD Ultimo, which advertise a spring rate of 505/315, which should be about twice as stiff as stock. If I get those coilovers, can I keep stock ride height? I do not want to lower my car at all. If I was going to change that, I'd raise it, but that's more trouble than I want. And before you recommend a better set of coilovers - this is not my project vehicle, it's my work truck, and I'm only interested in coilovers at all because they might fix my issues effectively and semi-affordably.

2. Thanks IGOTASUBARU thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASUBARU liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How do I make this car into a truck?

Ok, a little more looking and it seems like the Raceland coilovers are definitely not going to be able to preserve stock ride height.

So am I'm thinking of getting the KYB GR-2 shocks ($250), and I found some springs that look like what I'm looking for - King raised springs ($439), and I'll get some 1/2" spacers for the rear struts as well.

Well, I'll probably DIY the spacers actually.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I know what you are talking about, and I don't think it is really worth trying.

Such cars aren't made to carry big loads, and sooner or later, they will break.

Why don't you search for a special automobile which will manage such tasks?

There are many websites on the internet where you can buy different agriculture or construction equipment specially made for carrying big loads.

If you are interested, find more on Equipment Radar, they have a lot of good equipment, and I am sure you will find something for yourself.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

These car projects are exciting.

When I was a kid, I was WOW to watch on Discovery how a few guys made a big truck from a retro car.

By the way, such vehicles are very searched by car museums. Last month I was in London and visited one of the most prominent car museums.

I remained pretty impressed when I saw such a car there.

I would like to have one and to be the coolest boy in the city, LOL.

Anyway, from this trip the happiest was my son because he is a huge car lover.

He remained very impressed with the truck we saw there.

6. Thanks IGOTASUBARU thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASUBARU liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Let us know if this worked on your end.