Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil Preferences

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine Oil Preferences

Seems to be a question that continually pops up for owners, so I figured I would start a thread where owners can discuss preferences and observations for the multitude of options out there.

I'll go ahead and start this one off with my own personal experience. Since taking ownership of my 02 WRX with 06 EJ257 swap, I have run Castrol Syntec or now called Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w30. I like to keep my oil change interval or OCI right around 3000-3500 miles, and use at most a 1/2qt over the course of the that interval. I have yet to preform a used oil analysis, but have plans to this summer to check up on the health of my engine and how it likes the Edge. T6 seems to be all the rage these days but need to preform more research before I consider making a switch.

Now keep it going with any thoughts, question, experiences and general banter focused around the oil for your WRX.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I used to use Mobil1 on my stock motor. But at the advice of my tuner and my builder (and Subaru friends) I switched over to Rotella-T 15-40, on their basis that its a lot nicer on all the internals. I can't attest to much as I've only rolled over to 1300 miles on my new motor, but all is well so far. I haven't had a blackstone analysis or anything done yet, but I'd like to just to see how the parts wear.

I've read good things though. I think someone posted on ***** that they compared rotella left in for well over 3000 miles versus mobil1 left in for around 2000 miles at blackstone labs and the rotella oil sample showed less wear. I dont have the post on hand but I could go find it. I plan to stick with the Rotella until I see different
    Last edited by wo^tron; 01-02-2012 at 03:00 AM.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

After watching many, MANY different brand of oils deplete, separate and disintegrate during regular and heavy driving, I've decided I will never, EVER use anything other than ENEOS. I'm so in love with the stuff I'm starting to go half-staff...

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I used Castrol 10W-30 till 10,000 miles. I then switched over to Amsoil Dominator racing oil and never looked back. I have always used Amsoil products and feel there is nothing better out there.

PS: I'm a dealer if you ever want to try Amsoil.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rotella T6 5-40 here.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

We deal with many brands but for these applications I recommend Amsoil and Redline.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Amsoil Z-rod. Use a weight that is for your clearances.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Brad Penn (The Green Oil) FTW. I use in on the Subaru and the dragster. Best oil I have ever laid my hands on.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Royal Purple Synthetic for myself.
    Never tried AMSoil but it's pretty popular with the local drag and dirt track racers
    Haters gon' hate

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rek888v2 View Post
    Mobel 1 on all my STi's without issues.
    Really?

I've heard so many horror stories about Mobile 1 in EJ engines that I've generally stayed away from it. I ran it once in my EJ20R for about 30 miles. I had oil pressure problems with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast