Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clutch fork release issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I always go through the starter hole...every time. I don't like dealing with the problems I come across when I don't. I use a long ratchet and knock it with a hammer. The force is usually quick and sudden enough to bust loose the bolt before the engine even has a chance to turn. If you have problems with that...a prybar / big screwdriver in the flywheel teeth works...or even a breaker bar/socket on the crank pulley to help hold the crank still.

If you disconnected your battery before you started working on it...hook it back up before checking the clutch pedal. For some reason I did a clutch on an 03 WRX and checked the clutch pedal to make sure it felt good before hooking up the battery and it just fell to the floor. Once I hooked up the battery....clutch pedal was fine. I have no earthly idea why it did this...and still haven't figured it out to this day.
    Last edited by John; 12-30-2011 at 11:51 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I just do the PP regardless of if the pin is there or not.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If the plug and pin is there, removing it is the easiest way to separate the engine from the tranny. You simply remove the pin, pull up on the fork and it is released and ready to come out. Any other way and you are just making allot of unnecessary work for yourself.

If there is no pin then the engine will separate without removing the fork or the pressure plate according to the manual. This is usually seen in non turbo and some turbo models where the slave cylinder pushes on the fork toward the firewall and the release bearing butts up against the pressure plate springs and pushes to disengage the clutch.

On the pin setup the slave cylinder pushes on the fork toward the front of the car and the release bearing pulls the pressure plate springs out. In this instance the release bearing is attached to the pressure plate assembly and the fork must be released first before the engine can come out.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

ya i don't have that set up for the trans as i said before Well i hooked up the slave cylinder hit the clutch to loosened the fork then got a flat tip and a hammer and hit in-between the engine and the trans and it poped loose thanks yall

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

ya i think the 05 and down they had the pin set up and the 06 and up they went with the ball and socket set up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12