Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: maintaining a high mileage outback

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

maintaining a high mileage outback

You guys were super helpful in the last thread so I thought I'd ask some more questions

Well for those who missed it before, I drive an 04 outback sport which just rolled over to 186,000 miles yesterday. I've had her since 2006 and put over 150k of those miles on myself. Of course with her advancing age, every trip to the shop makes me go oh god oh god oh god this is going to be it, a 2k repair bill that I can't afford. Well *knock on wood* so far so good...she is alive and well and still getting 27+ mpg when I go on long road trips

I've admittedly beat the hell out of this car. I drive fast over muddy roads with lots of potholes, drive on all kinds of terrain I probably shouldn't (but have only ever gotten stuck once in wet cement, long story).

Anyway I have a list of recommendations for repair and prices and I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. I know a little about cars because of my friends, and because I've now owned two trucks with over 200k miles (in addition to this car) that have needed a lot of work...so I have a general idea of how much things should cost/how important various things are.

If you guys don't mind weighing in on whether or not these are good prices AND on possible other things I can do to prolong the repairs/questions to ask/anything else I would REALLY appreciate it. I am in love with this car and am in no position to afford a new one but she's really well maintained (shop owners love me...if it makes a weird noise I'm in there going umm help!) so I'm hoping she'll last many more miles

So right now she's in the shop getting the oil pan gasket repaired to the tune of $199.99

Most recently I got:

new water pump and thermostat & gasket (and wiper blades which I could have done myself but meh)- that was $470

They also recommend: Steering Rack-N-Pinion $890 (does that seem really high? I got the whole power steering system in my truck replaced for about 1100 a few months ago)

Also: Valve Cover Gaskets $270 ...what part of the car does that pertain to?

It is leaking power steering fluid according to them. I have a bottle in my car and haven't had to refill it as of yet. I was going to put some leak stop in it, that worked really well on my truck which I drove around for 2 years with a power steering fluid leak so my understanding is that as long as I keep the fluid levels topped off I'm okay? I don't mind checking it everyday and topping off if it'll save me a grand. A few hundred bucks I can spend, $900 is a little harder to swing :/

I've been using Lucas fuel injector cleaner which has really helped my gas mileage (and quieted the engine down)- is that a good product to use?

Any advice you guys have for keeping an old girl like her on the road would be great 186k and she's never left me stranded, or even hinted like that was ever a possibility and I'd like to keep it that way!

(PS I realize I must be an enthusiast because I had to really hold back from going on and on about how awesome my car is, and compared to many of your guys' she isn't that epic :P)

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

First off help us out with which engine this has. These came with a 2.5L or a 3.0L option

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2.5L

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Well waterpump, involved timing, did you have the timing belt changed and so one while you did that??

The valve cover gasket cost seems high to me, did they say the reasoning for this need? are they leaking or what?

Where are they saying the Power Steering fluid is leaking from?

Lucas fuel injector cleaner is good, I even have this to offer, but I like seafoam personally.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

They said the power steering is leaking from the rack & pinion and that of all the leaks it's had recently (two different leaks in the cooling system, both fixed now..and the oil leak that is getting fixed today), they said that one is the worst. However like I said I have been monitoring the fluid levels and it's a-okay.

I will ask when I pick it up what the valve cover gaskets are doing. (Can you explain what that part is to this noob? )

Doesn't say anything about a timing belt but I can ask...I had that done at about 125k though...not sure how that applies to what was just done tho.

~60 of my last bill was 3 new wiper blades + oil change if I'm reading this bill correctly

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

The valve covers are basically the cap to the heads. To replace these should only take about an hour so that is why I dont see the cost they listed. I always recommend timing belt job every 90K. But when they change the water pump they have to remove the timing belt so always makes sence to have that changed in the process. If they didnt do the whole change I feel that is wrong in their part not to present it to you.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Okay when I go get my car I'll ask about the timing belt. I guess it's probably due for another one then. Though (and I have to look at my records) I'm pretty sure I got a water pump put in it not too long ago so maybe it got done then. I know it got a serpentine belt (and alternator) about a year ago...but that's not the same thing as the timing belt is it?

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

(oh and thanks, thats exactly the kind of info I want to arm myself with!)

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

correct your serpentine belts are different than your timing belt...

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

+1 to everything Zach said. I agree with the price(s) being a bit steep. I believe I've already mentioned that $880 for a rack and pinion is insanity. Haha. Where are you taking your car to when you get these quotes? Are they a dealership, general mechanic, strictly Subaru mechanics, etc..? I would think an experienced Subaru mechanic would charge you much more accordingly due to them knowing exactly what the job entails.