Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Engine Flush

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine Flush

Full service at my local garage includes an engine oil flush. Apparently they drain the oil, put in a flushing oil, run it for 25 minutes, drain the oils and replace with ordinary oil and a new filter. Of course this an extra charge which I am not overly concerned but what does concern me is that there are many people "out there" saying an engine flush can do more harm than good and no regularly serviced engine should need it. Also Subaru do not recommend it but I can't get that answer from Subaru. Should I or should I not???

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

How often do you have the engine oil changed?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Not sure if it's standard dealer practice on your side of the water but I don't think they offer it to us in the UK. I've read the same thing about putting it undue stress on the engine due to the chemicals used in the flush stripping out the remaining oil from the big end bearings. But then again I've seen people using it in boxer engines with no problems, as long as it doesn't contain parrifin it shouldn't harm it.
    Modern engines with oil changes done at the correct intervals shouldn't need it as there's not as much build up of deposits compared to older motors,

4. Thanks IGOTASUBARU thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My only worry about this practice is the wear it may cause by flushing the lubricant oil out of the bearings. Think of it like taking an engine apart and putting it back together. Flushing it is taking it apart and cleaning all of the oil out. When you put the engine back together you MUST use molybdenum assembly lubricant or you will cause damage to the bearings. The moly lube keeps the bearings lubricated until the oil pump is primed and is correctly and sufficiently pumping the oil throughout the engine. So if you clean out the old oil with the flush what is lubricating the engine until the new oil is completely through the system? Catch my drift?

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Could always dry crank it, my mechanic swears by it, I do after a filer & oil change, not sure how effective it is as theres bound to be some residual oil left in the block. And I guess in it's life the previous owners wouldn't have been so concerned, I know it's essential on new build motors, for the reasons above

7. Likes IGOTASUBARU liked this post