Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: checking my oil (possible really stupid question)

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ckatie View Post
    oh wow I just realized this is the impreza forum and i drive an outback. my old sube was an impreza. oy!
    That's ok. We can move this over there. No problem.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

2. Top Of Page | #22
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

The reason for the oil levels is do to the density of the oil from the temperature. When it is is colder it becomes more dense and reads lower than normal. Which I think was mentioned before. Far as the leak goes any oil leak should be taken care of right away you never want to let it get worse to take the chance of starving the engine of oil. This will cause major damage that could have been avoided.

3. Top Of Page | #23
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zach@TTLM View Post
    The reason for the oil levels is do to the density of the oil from the temperature. When it is is colder it becomes more dense and reads lower than normal. Which I think was mentioned before. Far as the leak goes any oil leak should be taken care of right away you never want to let it get worse to take the chance of starving the engine of oil. This will cause major damage that could have been avoided.
    Okay glad to know I'm not totally going nuts here. I suspected something like this but then had all these car people telling me omgz your car has no oil. It is being repaired ASAP

Also I realized that the pool under the car could also be the power steering fluid as that is also leaking *sigh*

4. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

ckatie I moved your thread to the 2004+ Outbacks! Carry on.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #25
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Also I realized that the pool under the car could also be the power steering fluid as that is also leaking *sigh*
    also want to get this taken care of while your at it. Running low on power steering fluid will cause you to burn your pump out.

6. Top Of Page | #26
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zach@TTLM View Post
    also want to get this taken care of while your at it. Running low on power steering fluid will cause you to burn your pump out.
    I am keeping an eye on this one- it's a very minor leak and I've got a bottle of power steering fluid in my car, I have yet to have to top it off in two months. I am going to try some leak stop stuff first (it worked great on my truck). They want $850 to replace the rack and pinion and I just don't have that money at the moment

ETA: I suppose if I'm not having to top it off that's probably oil (or not from my car at all) on the ground that I saw. Rain for the next few days so who knows. Either way she's going into the shop ASAP!

Sheesh maintaining high mileage vehicles = $$$$$
    Last edited by ckatie; 12-20-2011 at 06:15 PM.

7. Top Of Page | #27
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

$850 for a rack and pinion?! Good God! That's robbery!

8. Top Of Page | #28
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I can check...maybe there was something else? Hopefully anyway! How much should replacing the oil pan gasket cost (roughly, I know cost can vary for a lot of reasons). I pulled some strings to take her in in the morning...y'all scared me sufficiently...I can't afford a seized engine.

9. Top Of Page | #29
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Oil gasket shouldn't be too bad. The engine needs to be lifted a bit to get to it so some places charge A LOT. I wouldn't pay any more than $200, though... A sooby mechanic shouldn't charge too much 'cause they know what it entails and they've done a hundred times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast