Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: checking my oil (possible really stupid question)

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Agreed. Everyone has to begin learning somewhere! We've all been there.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eekay View Post
    Agreed. Everyone has to begin learning somewhere! We've all been there.
    For sure.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cam seal leaks are dangerous... If they leak enough to hit the timing belt and that breaks while driving? KA-BLOOEY! Lots of damage can happen.

As far as the oil expanding when heated, yes. That is 100% correct. In fact, the BEST way to check your oil is to have your car run to fully heated temperature. Once it is at running temp, shut it off, let it sit for 5-ish minutes to allow ALL the oil that is going to return to the pan do so. Measure oil using dipstick, fill or drain as needed. Never check your oil cold or when the car is running...

4. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rear seal maybe? That would cause oil loss without dripping on the ground while parked... The majority of oil would be lost while driving.
    I had a valve cover that would leak a quart between oil changes and I never once got a drop in my driveway. It would leak onto the subframe and blow off as i drove down the road

5. Top Of Page | #15
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Same thing happened with my rear seal leak! Everyone said, "You need a new oil pan gasket..." Pulled off the oil pan and BAM! No leaks! Traced it down to rear seal and quadrupled my work. Lol.

6. Top Of Page | #16
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the oil separator plate?

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Uh. Ermm, yes! Lol. I just realized I was calling it a rear seal. My bad!

8. Top Of Page | #18
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The oil is leaking from the oil pan gasket. It was 50 when I went out...totally cold engine and it read full. Drove it for 5 minutes, let it sit for 5 minutes and checked again, still read full. Car still sounds fine. Now I'm curious so I'll check it again before I go to work in the morning, maybe it'll be a little cooler.

It's possible there was oil on the ground under the car, like a little circle of dampness. I guess I never really thought to look but in my defense it rains a TON in Lexington so looking for a puddle most days is a moot point

9. Top Of Page | #19
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cam seal leaks are dangerous... If they leak enough to hit the timing belt and that breaks while driving? KA-BLOOEY! Lots of damage can happen.

As far as the oil expanding when heated, yes. That is 100% correct. In fact, the BEST way to check your oil is to have your car run to fully heated temperature. Once it is at running temp, shut it off, let it sit for 5-ish minutes to allow ALL the oil that is going to return to the pan do so. Measure oil using dipstick, fill or drain as needed. Never check your oil cold or when the car is running...
    This is what my roommate was telling me and he knows what he's talking about probably 80% of the time which just intuitively makes sense to me but when I was asking people or trying to read about it I couldn't confirm it.

And they think it's the oil pan gasket. I'm hoping to get it in before next weekend...I really like this car and don't need to cost myself money.

Hah I know about belts coming off. Right before I moved out here the alternator in my truck fell off and the belt came with it and took out my power steering system. That was a good chunk of change to get repaired :/

10. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

oh wow I just realized this is the impreza forum and i drive an outback. my old sube was an impreza. oy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast