Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Overhaul. What can be enhanced w/o a tune?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine Overhaul. What can be enhanced w/o a tune?

Going to be pulling my motor on my 2007 WRX wagon. At 120k miles my clutch is on its way, I've had cooling issues before so I want to do the head gaskets now as well. I am gonna be taking my time with this one, (a lot of painting and polishing mainly).
    Purchased an engine overhaul gasket kit, and exedy OEM clutch kit.

I have a list of things to purchase still, and I'm wondering what kind of parts I could use without a tune.

Here's what I was thinking of getting. I'm always open to hear from everyone else.
    -Aftermarket turbo inlet (aps hard inlet or Perrin silicone)
    -8mm Phenolic Spacers (not sure if a tune is required, I would think the ecu could adapt to the lower intake manifold temps)
    - head studs (arp or oem? Since oem are torque to yield I'm thinking arp)
    - killer b/ moroso oil pickup
    - samco rad hoses, ancillary hoses
    - grounding kit
    - Perrin AOS

I guess I should also ask if I picked up an STi intercooler from a local, got the correct coupler to the turbo, would a tune be required? I'm NOT looking for real noticeable gains here just found a sweet deal.

2. Thanks IGOTASUBARU thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

A new tune will be required.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

A tune for the intercooler specifically?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by subiesmakemerallyhard View Post
    A tune for the intercooler specifically?
    Yeppers! Trust us.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yea a tune would definitely be needed for the larger intercooler. A larger reservoir of air means the turbo has to work a little harder to push the same amount of air through the larger space. It needs a tune to be able to compensate for the Mass difference.

7. Thanks IGOTASUBARU thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Can the EJ20R twin turbo motor go into my 2002 impreza outback sport and if so what parts do I need.

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The issue with installing a JDM twin turbo set up is the brake master interfering with the left bank turbo. You would have to find a way to relocate the brake master and booster in order to have the clearance for the second turbo

10. Likes IGOTASUBARU liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So it is possible its just a lot of work? Where do you think I could relocate it to

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Engine Overhaul. What can be enhanced w/o a tune?

It is possible but there is a crap ton of work that has to be put into it. Electrical and mechanical. Relocation of the brake master/booster assembly is tricky. There is a rod attached to the pedal that transfers the mechanical energy from the pedal through the booster to the master cylinder. You would have to find a way to move it while retailing the mechanism itself. And you don't want to move the pedal. On top of that there are few places in the engine bay that have enough space for the booster.

13. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm in it for all the work and experience I'm 17 this is my first car and I can't wait to enjoy this beast. But how much do you think this will run me? And what other parts will I have to get to swap this engine in. Like suspension? Dashboard? Brakes? New exhaust system? I'm not completely sure what parts I need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast