Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2013 WRX Cosworth engine swap.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2013 WRX Cosworth engine swap.

Recently my friends 2013 wrx sedan started spewing oil into the intake, intercooler & piping. Have not been able to do a compression test on it to be 100%, but all signs point to ringland failure, not a blown turbo. We've have gotten quotes from several places and they are all around 6-7k to go in and test it, clean everything up and repair it. To save some time and put the money to better use. We are thinking about getting a Cosworth engine. I have been working on cars for quite a while, especially Subaru's recently. I think I could do the swap myself, I've pulled engines out before and swapped them (Non-Subaru). The big question, is this something I should stay away from? I've done all the work to his car so far, and this is knowledge I would love to have. Pulling the engine shouldn't be a problem. I have all the tools I could possibly see needing, most notable being a torque wrench and engine lift/stand. Besides me second guessing my abilities. I just need to figure out everything to buy. Here's what I got so far.. Cosworth Short block, engine overhaul gasket kit, new head studs, timing belt kit, and fluids. I probably missed something important... Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Had Subaru denied the warranty? I figured someone should ask that, before other advice. heh.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I should've mentioned this car is much beyond stage 2. Options right now were to bring to stock, and try to warranty it. Take it to a good shop and fix with oem parts. Or buy a whole short block and I would do the work and save him a lot of down time and labor.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My personal opinion is that there are much better and more cost effective methods than Cosworth. It's a good name and all, but overpriced for what it is. I would contact Mary @awdtuning and talk about their builds. They are known around the country as one of THE top builders, and stand behind their products 100%. They're a vendor with us on www.igotasti.com and the igota community page. I'll tag them on the FB group to help you out with that. MUCH more bang for the buck, and proven record.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks, I agree there is much more bang for your buck with the awdtuning stage 2 bottom end, that was the other option I needed to discuss with the tuner, im sure he would agree it would be another good option to minimize down time.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Re: 2013 WRX Cosworth engine swap.

It seems to me that you are not very confident about your abilities, therefore I wouldn't recommend trying to solve the issue by yourself. Cosworth engines are known for their reliability and ability to generate power and high performance. Most of the time, an engine starts spewing oil because of degraded engine gaskets, oil pan leaks, oil seals or bad connections. Since cosworth engine internal components are highly engineered, it is slightly harder to get all the accesories you will need, compared to bmw accesories, for example, and to swap everything perfectly. I wish you good luck in your attempt and let us know about the result.