Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ringland Failure, time to upgrade?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ringland Failure, time to upgrade?

2013 WRX modded far beyond stage 2.
    ID1000 top feed injectors, process west TMIC, forge bpv, Cobb ebcs, Perrin turbo inlet, zero lift tgv deletes, Cobb intake and downpipe, tomei headers and up pipe, stock vf52 turbo.
    Engine clearly down to ring land failure. Oil soaked the intercooler piping and core. The car is going to be out of my hands soon.

I was wondering if it is even worth it for me to do a compression test to find which cylinder went bad? I would think if I do the compression test, the tuner would probably do it himself anyway, correct? I've done all the work on this car to date except for the dyno tune. Which was done at Pure Tuning in Ohio.

My friend who owns the 13' wrx wants to build his bottom end now and we are thinking about having Keith at Pure Tuning do the work to the bottom end. (This would be my first time doing it, so I'm a little hesitant on splitting the block and back together by myself.) Pure tuning would cap his tune at 450whp. Any thoughts or insight would be great, I love having info to talk to the tuner about.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Not worth it, and cylinder #4 is usually the culprit.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

The test is really waste of time...because you won't want to just replace one cylinder anyways you will want to work the entire lower end. Not sure how the car is used but consider extra oil clearance bearings during rebuild to allow better oiling when spirit driving is taking place.