Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hey everbody, got a quick video to explain, need some help diagnosing my friends 2013

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hey everbody, got a quick video to explain, need some help diagnosing my friends 2013

You can hear a weird grinding, or fast knocking. Car is running lower boost than normal. Been looked through by 3 Subaru Dealers now and they claimed there was nothing wrong. At first, it took me some time to hear the sound in the car, thought it was the differential. But approaching full boost I started noticing what my friend has been describing. Use headphones if it is hard to hear, any input would be useful. The only thing one Service Department claimed was the Cobb downpipe, which does not have a bracket from the pipe to the transmission like the OEM downpipe is causing the rattle when in reverse. Looking at the tight clearance they are right about that rattle, but still they claim there's nothing wrong. I'm not familiar with any transmission/driveline work on any Subaru's yet, though one thing I noticed was how movement the transmission and driveshaft had, just from grabbing the exhaust and shaking it, can anyone help clarify anything?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

How cold was it when you shot this video?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine temperature or ambient? the car was warmed up (ambient temp 20+ degrees) and been driving for 10-12 miles prior to the video, I took the video when we were on our way home from the dealer.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Does this do it all the time, or did this just start?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Something blew on his car yesterday when we were driving around. The noise in the video got pretty loud, then a kabang. you can hear the bypass valve making noise when shifting out of boost. We are making a road trip down to Pure Tuning in Ohio today and having them go through it. Possibly get together a turbo swap.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

OH BOY!

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

stock bypass valve imploded! Also the intercooler to throttle body coupler comes loose which I hear is a common problem on 08+ We are fixing it with a Aftermarket silicone coupler and a Forge BPV today.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

also found something interesting when getting my hands dirty under my buddies hood. The tuner forgot to install the coupler between the throttle body and intercooler to the throttle body itself... No wonder it ran like that. And boy what a pain in the butt that was to do.