Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Head Gasket change soon..

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Possible Head Gasket change soon..

Guessing from the time my car overheated during the water pump failure my head gasket was damaged somewhere along the line. You can clearly smell some coolant burning in the exhaust, and it is not leaking from any hoses. I have worked on plenty of cars and trucks but this is the only Subaru I ever get into, and this is a first for pulling a boxer motor, I heard it was on the easier side to pull out.? any insights?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I have heard the same thing. Once you get all the little crap out of the way it should be ok.

Side note pulling the motor Jana good time to do plugs haha

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Is a*

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yea ill be doing new plugs and changing any gasket or seal that I get into

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

driving home last night, my got started acting a little sluggish. I've recently replaced the spark plugs with NGK's, did the timing belt and water pump at the same time.

After letting the car cool down, while we test drove a car or my buddy. I started it back up, and followed him home in his newly purchased car. My car immediately overheated so I pulled over to pop the hood. The coolant overflow tank had completely filled up to the cap with coolant. The cap was off of the overflow tank as well. I could also see residue from coolant overflowing from the overflow tank landed on the battery and heads and a million other things. I let it cool down again, and it sucked up all the excess that was left in the overflow tank, plus took half a 16.9oz bottle of water in the top of the radiator, and the other half of it in the overflow tank. I originally assumed that it was a head gasket leaking. but now im unsure. I could have lost that coolant from the overflow tank overfilling... There must be an extreme excess of pressure in the system??? where Is a good place to start

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You need to do a combustion leak down test to see if the head gaskets are bad.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks, just called the dealer, since I don't have the gauges. seemed like it might be worth the $220 to just take it in.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

$220 for them to check it?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASUBARU.COM View Post
    $220 for them to check it?
    Yea. The first service rep I talked to said $50 but then said he didn't know what I was talking about so he transferred me and the next guy sounded confident on $220

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Holy crap that's a rip off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast