Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing/Water pump Overhaul

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Timing/Water pump Overhaul

So I'm stuck at a stand still changing the water pump on my 07 wrx. As of now I have the radiator and surrounding parts off the vehicle, fluids drained ect ect. Now the harmonic balancer will not come off. The bolt will not budge at all. I have tried my 1/2in impact gun, Breaker bars, all while holding the pulley still. The bolt will just not move. I've applied heat, lots of force, and my few most trusted mechanics here to help.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I can't remember what size that bolt is, but that is one tight bolt. (22mm)? Put the car in 5th gear and put parking brake on. If your impact isn't strong even use a long breaker bar.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've heard from JJ that you want a big *** impact wrench that is capable of breaking the world..

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It is a 22mm size bolt. I have tried putting the car in gear and getting as much leverage as I can, with a 3ft bar with a 4ft steel cheater. Nothing yet, ill keep trying stuff.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have done this before, but we have done many of these so please be careful if you do this.

Rest the breaker bar on the body of the car, hook the battery up, pull fuel pump fuse and crank for a second then it'd be free.

BE CAREFUL!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

ooh.. industry secret! Take that to the bank :P

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Acutally I tried that old school method as well still nothing

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 07sleeperwagon View Post
    Acutally I tried that old school method as well still nothing
    Really?

That always works.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yea Im just worried I might snap the bolt. Which obviously would be worst case scenario. The dealership laughed on the phone lol. They are just as baffled as I am

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASUBARU.COM View Post
    Rest the breaker bar on the body of the car, hook the battery up, pull fuel pump fuse and crank for a second then it'd be free.

BE CAREFUL!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASUBARU.COM View Post
    That always works.
    I was going to suggest slightly different way of doing this.. Place at least a 3 foot breaker bar in a position to where it's end only about 2" (at the most) from the ground and crank her. The bolt should break loose. Have you soaked it in some PB Blaster in case there is some rust built up in there? I always take the bolt off that way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast