Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing/Water pump Overhaul

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I was going to suggest slightly different way of doing this.. Place at least a 3 foot breaker bar in a position to where it's end only about 2" (at the most) from the ground and crank her. The bolt should break loose. Have you soaked it in some PB Blaster in case there is some rust built up in there? I always take the bolt off that way.
    Yea sadly I tried PB blaster and several impacts. Among using the starter to try and break it free. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Taking a hiatus for now. Just getting a little frustrating lol

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

To be honest that is the best. Then go back at it, but for now spray it again with PB Blaster and let it soak. Spray it really good.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Instead of using conventional penetrating lubricants try this: in an empty spray bottle mix half acetone and half auto trans fluid. This mixture tends to have stronger rust eating properties because of the acetone and auto trans fluid has just about the highest lubricity of and fluid used in a vehicle. Mix and spray like you would the pb. One of my acquaintances that does a lot of mudding suggested this.

4. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

*update* No good news yet. I let the bolt soak in PB blaster last night, picked up bigger cheater bars and a good strap wrench. I'm assume that someone got their hands dirty with this harmonic balancer before me. which doesn't make sense since I had bought the car with 44k on her. Next step is to tow her in to the shop I suppose... gonna take it to my buddies place to get a larger impact on it. If that doesn't work. Im gonna have to tow her into the dealership.

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Wow I can't believe that bolt is that tight. I'm shocked you can't break it.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I had the same issue on a junk ej22e. But mine was an issue that the previous owner I stalled a lightweight aluminum crank pulley an it oxidized to the bolt. The acetone and ATF mixture finally freed it but boy was it a pain

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It... is.. finally.. off lol. Called up a Tractor Trailer Mobile Service and with his driver we were able to get it out in a jiffy for a decent fee. A Gate's r&d employee told me the bolt is torqued to 280ft/lbs. Oem harmonic balancer is trashed, so im thinking about ordering a perrin pulley soon. Any thoughts? considering the Perrin pulley is significantly less $?

8. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

What did they charge you?

9. Top Of Page | #19
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASUBARU.COM View Post
    What did they charge you?
    For the Service? or an OEM pulley?

10. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

For the service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast