Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 90 Legacy Info

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

90 Legacy Info

I'm going to be embarking on doing a NA build with a 90 Legacy Sedan. The original motor spun a rod at 284k, so I'm up in the air if i should rebuild the 2.2 thats in it, or if I should do the "hybrid" setup which consist of the 2.5 block with 2.2 heads. Pistons are almost impossible to find for the 2.2na without breaking the bank.

I guess what I want to know and I have done "research on this" is what would make more power. I obviously know that boosting it is the way to go, but im going to be turning this into a DD. I've seen that the 2.2 is torquier than the 2.5/2.2 hybrid but that the hybrid makes more power. Thoughts on what is the better route and most cost efficient?

Also looking at some suspension. Maybe someone can clue me in to if suspenion parts from lets say a WRX can fit on this car. I've searched high and low and can not get any real info as it seems these cars are virtually never modified. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you have some pictures that you can share as well that would help too.

Basically the end result is going to be a nice mid powered 93 legacy thats fun to drive. Any info regarding motor, suspension, and the such will not be taken lightly. If you have done this build, and are willing to share, I would love to pick your brain.

Trying to accomplish all of this for Subie Invasion in Vegas this year. So its only going to leave me about 2 months to get this all setup.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

You don't have much time so we better get started.

What's your budget?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm a car salesman so my budget will change. hoping to keep this around 2k. i'll be using alot of the cars parts and I get discounts from various dealers. mainly wanting 1500 in the motor as i can apparently use struts and springs from a wrx as long as I use the tophats from the leggy, which i already luckly have from my 03 wrx. so most will be spent in form of the motor

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Limiting yourself to $1,500, or even $2,000 on an NA build of any sort isn't going to be easy. Especially if you're looking for power and reliability.

A 2.2 will be very limited in it's potential to make any real power. A 2.5/2.2 frankenmotor has more potential with the same modifications but you can run into reliability issues in the long run with a Phase 1 short block. A Phase 2 short block is a better start as you can use STi internals, but the short block can be expensive.

Rebuilding your current motor is going to involve machine work to the crank and rods, using oversize bearings. To make power out of an EJ22E you'll need at the very least:

- increased compression (thinner head gaskets, milling heads)
    - cam regrinds (Delta series cams are not too expensive and you can email them with info about your goals and they'll point you in the right direction)
    - possible head porting to increase top end flow
    - UEL or EL header (depends on whether or not you want to rumble...)
    - high flow cats or a cat-less track pipe
    - a high flow muffler

A frankenmotor build will require:

- 2.5 short block (preferably a Phase 2) - For reliability... An STi crank is $360, STi rods are $245, ACL Race bearings start at around $100 for STD size main and rod bearings. And you may have to put some machine work into the 2.5 block if it isn't well enough off to install new STD size bearings.
    - Delta cam regrinds
    - definite head porting (this is because the 22E heads will choke the motor of potential top end air flow and limit the motor above the 4500 RPM range
    - UEL or EL header
    - high flow cats or cat-less pipe
    - high flow muffler

As far as the suspension you WILL need to the the WRX top hats. Your stock top hats will NOT fit on top of the WRX springs. The WRX assemblies will fit just fine with the WRX top hats.

What other suspension components do you want to upgrade?

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Kenny, This is some great info. much appreciated. Well the suspenion i'll be running is actually a set of jdm sti struts (5x100) with tanabe gf 210s. I'll also be looking at upgrading the sways, and endlinks. If this becomes a dedicated build car, ill be doing everything underneath.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

As far as sway bars, the only company I have ever really looked into is Whiteline. I really do like there products and they make plenty of components for you Legacy. For the basics, I'd do sways, end links, steering rack bushings, and sway bar mounts.