Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud running after sitting for 4 years!

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Loud running after sitting for 4 years!

SO I bought a 1999 Legacy EJ22 Auto well equipped, with 168k miles in march of 2013, for $2500. The carfax was clear and showed the second owner from 2002-2009, then no rego till I got it.
    lots of dirt and dog hair, but the engine revs very well, and it feels nice driving it. the dealer I bought the car from Replaced a few belts and "Cleaned" it, the radiator is also new. I just replaced the coolant temp sensor, Vacuum Purge Valve (Broke it installing the sensor). anyways, I've noticed some valve noise at all temps and running conditions, and a lifter tap when cold.

would it be wise to dump some marvel mystery oil in there?

what Kind of issues should I look for being as the car sat for so long?

I'm new to the flat-4 but LOVING it so far!

also, Hoping for a bit more power, would an exhaust and intake be noticeable enough for the price??

What performance swaps are common on the EJ22

any information is welcome!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

First welcome to the team.

Second what oil you running?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have no idea whats in there, its dark (Not black/sludgy) it needs an oil change though, and I have some MarvMysOil on hand. so should I run it with MMO for a weekend before oil change?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would change the oil ASAP! Get some really good oil like Amsoil!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I was actually thinking that at the same time you replied, I have no idea how old the oil is.

any simple performance mods available? common issues?

I'd Like to mention I broke my coolant sensor doing 95mph after "rallying" in a dirt parking lot. is that a common reason for a sensor to go?
    sorry, I'm new to OBD2 cars... im used to older american cars.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Simple mods are like intake, dp, and exhaust. Not going to give you lots of power, but will open it up.

As for oil I would do that as fast as you can.

You might also want to make or get a skid plate if your going to be rallying it.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

where would I go for a skid plate?
    I am all stock suspension as well, is there anyway to have suspension tunability between +2" and -4" stock height. (adjustable Coilovers? Air?)

Thanks for your time and response!

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

We can get one of our Vendors on here to get you some prices if you like.

How much you looking to spend?

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Honestly Not much, its a fun car, but I love my other car (86 Lincoln getting a 351W / T5 Swap), I just wanna get some drivability mods so I can focus elsewhere... so probably like.. $300 excluding wheels and tires.

like I said this legacy is fun, but its a daily driver.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

These are known for some tick and engine noise so determining exactly what you are hearing will make a difference. Far as the belts that were changed, do you know if the timing belt was one of them and how many miles ago was it done? If know I would do a complete timing upgrade specially if you are going to be running it hard (rallying it). Far as upgrades your basic mods like JJ mentioned will not add lots of noticeable power but will open it up and allow it to breath giving it better response. Far as suspension coilovers are about your only option to be able to adjust as you are looking to do. I can work on different options for your platform and will get back to you on that. When you change the oil take in mind the filter you use as well, good oil with cheap junk filter like fram is just as bad as putting junk oil in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast