Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loud running after sitting for 4 years!

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'll grab an oil change this weekend and drive my lincoln for the week..
    would it be wise to put MMO in with the new oil change, and do another in 1500 miles? if theres noise from old oil, and sludge, I'd assume more oil could be getting around in there.

thanks all for the advice!!!

2. Top Of Page | #12
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

I have never used the MMO, but have used things like sea foam and such when sludge and such was bad. I can't say either way wether this would be a wise decision but I wouldn't run it more than 750 miles if you do choose to do so. JMO

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

I reread your original post and thought about it more, during oil change run a magnet through the oil and look for any metal. If you find this, you may have some bearing issues. and should consider having that looked into more. Far as skid plates go, I came up empty but this would be something easy to custom make by making a template from cardboard and going to your local fab shop to purchase a sheet of metal to cut a plate out of. Far as coilovers go, there area a few options depending on your price range. The low end of the scale you have your Tein Basics and your K Sports. Between the two I would go with the Ksports. On the higher end there is KW, Fortune, and a few others. If you give me an idea of where you want to be on something like this, I will definitely be able to better pick a coilover for you.

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

That car won't be fast with that motor/trans & bolt ons...but you can still make it sound better & be fun to drive as a daily. Throw an exhaust on it, new oil in it & call it a day.
    Every thug needs a lady.

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, coilovers too. Definitely coilovers.
    Every thug needs a lady.

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zacnickp View Post
    the dealer I bought the car from Replaced a few belts and "Cleaned" it, the radiator is also new. I just replaced the coolant temp sensor, Vacuum Purge Valve (Broke it installing the sensor). anyways, I've noticed some valve noise at all temps and running conditions, and a lifter tap when cold.

would it be wise to dump some marvel mystery oil in there?

what Kind of issues should I look for being as the car sat for so long?
    NO NO NO NO NO marvel mystery oil. It will not help anything whatsoever. Do an oil change using a decent 5W-30 Dino oil, drive around for a few days, and then do another.

Any car that has sat for such a long time can be susceptible to untold problems, or none at all. Driving a car so little is just as bad as driving one too much. There isn't too many things I think you really have to worry about. Just keep your eye out for things and take it easy on the car until it's been used a bit again. My old 96 LGT sat for a year and a half. Just put a new motor in it, upgraded a few things, and it's driving around without a hiccup.

You should, however, make sure that the timing belt and components are in good condition. Your motor is an interference motor and a breakage could be detrimental.

As far as the valve noise, you have a Phase 2 EJ222 motor. This motor utilizes adjustable valve rockers. So, at the current mileage, you may be due for an adjustment. Some of the noise you are probably hearing on a cold start is piston slap. There's nothing to really worry about.

also, Hoping for a bit more power, would an exhaust and intake be noticeable enough for the price??

What performance swaps are common on the EJ22
    any simple performance mods available? common issues?

I'd Like to mention I broke my coolant sensor doing 95mph after "rallying" in a dirt parking lot. is that a common reason for a sensor to go?
    sorry, I'm new to OBD2 cars... im used to older american cars.
    There are not too many second generation Legacy specific upgrades out there. And not too much will actually help your NA 2.2 motor. An AEM panel filter, cam regrinds, EL or UEL header (usually quite expensive for the 2.2 because it has single exhaust port heads and not too many companies make them), a lightweight crank pulley, and a full exhaust (no bigger than 2.25" for the 2.2 motor) will help a bit.

Performance swaps usually consist of WRX/STi/OBXT/FXT/LGT turbo swaps. That's a whole other story.

where would I go for a skid plate?
    I am all stock suspension as well, is there anyway to have suspension tunability between +2" and -4" stock height. (adjustable Coilovers? Air?)
    Make a skit plate out of a large street sign. It's what I did.

Raceland's coild overs for the GD WRX cost between $470 and $500 depending on which setup you want. They are one of the best coils you can buy for a car that will not see much of the track. There are nothing bus positive reviews for their Subaru coils. I plan on setting up the 96 LGT with their Optimo kit.

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

WOW THANKS FOR THE GREAT RESPONSE!
    I just changed the oil out, and its running GREAT! the biggest issue before was it felt wrong after long drives (20 miles on the highway, then around a neighborhood) it feels much smoother, and the driving experience is the same 5 minutes into driving as it is an hour into driving.

its a smaller oil filter, so before I leave on the 4th of july, (slc, UT, to vancouver, WA; 800 miles) I'm going to do another oil change just to make sure I have good circulation.
    the Street Sigh Skid plate is a good idea for sure.

Fastest oil change I ever did though, <1 min to remove drain plug, drained fully in 2 mintues, filter and fill in 5 mins on my first try lol.

Thanks A lot guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12