Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2002 Auto Transmission

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2002 Auto Transmission

I have a 2002 WRX w/4spd auto. I've had it for 3yrs now and I absolutely love it! I've heard that the 4EAT is a strong tranny but I was wondering how much power I can actually put to it... I've just done basic mods so far, they include - cat back exhaust, K&N cool air kit, and a BOV. Next I plan on getting a Cobb ECU tuner, then a down pipe, up pipe, headers, injectors and a FMIC. After that is completed, I will focus on the suspension. Any more power upgrades on top of that, I will plan on pulling the motor to be re-built. When that day comes, I will also be upgrading the turbo and intake manifold, etc... So, I know the majority of people out there prefer manual trannys but, are there any auto trans upgrades that can be done to "beef it up"? I plan on keeping the 4EAT in it, for the main reason of not going through the hassle of doing an auto to manual swap. I would like to add that this is and will be my daily driver, for as long as possible and I'm not planning on getting crazy with the HP goal. Thanks for your time -- Zac
    P.S. - This is my first forum post so sorry if I broke any "unwritten rules"

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Post some pictures up!

It's not so much power you have to worry about, it's torque. In stock form, with minimal brake boosting, I've read they do well with around 400WTQ at the most with no supporting mods that could cause failure. Upgrades like a high stall torque converter allows for more of shock to the internals of the transmission. That, besides excess heat, is what causes premature failure. I've also read that fluid changes need to be more frequent with upgrades. So, when it comes to transmission upgrades, the question is what do you plan on doing with the car? What upgrades would that entail? etc.. How much power it will handle, and how long it will last, depends on how you drive it.

As far as actual upgrades, an after market transmission cooler is probably going to be the best first upgrade. IPT makes numerous Subaru 4EAT components, including complete performance built transmissions.

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...duct_list&c=60

I almost bought an 03 WRX 4EAT last year. The ONLY reason I passed on it, was because I hate the gearing of the 4EAT. If it were a 5EAT, that would have been a different story. When looking into the car, that fact that 400 WTQ was the most I should push through it wasn't a negative. If it can be seen as a negative, launches from a stop are just about the only thing... You have to brake boost, and even then the stock 4EAT won't get anywhere near as good of a launch as a 5MT will. But, you do have full boost shifts. So be wary about doing actual upgrades.

You see where I'm going with this? I see no point to doing any actual upgrades to the transmission with what your plans for that car actually are.