Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Advice. new to me or keep current.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine Advice. new to me or keep current.

In need of some advice on what I should do with my current vehicle. I own a 99 outback sport with 202k miles current issues with it are, spark plug gaskets in bad shap,both sides have oil seeping into the spark plug tubes but cylinder 2's has the greatest amount of oil in the tube and on the plug wire. Also has a noise which im guessing is a knock. While under load it either goes away or i just can't hear it. But in 1st-3rd in rpm range of 1.5-3 i can still hear it a little bit. I purchased every thing i needed to replace both valve cover gasket covers, spark plug gaskets and the rocker cover washers. Few days after I purchased them i ran across BrokenBoxer.com which ends up being only 2hrs away from where I live. I contacted the owner and he offered to drop a newer 2.2l that he had with 100k on it for 1200. I'm not sure what the best route to go with will benfit me the most. I don't think replacing all the gaskets would help with the noise from the engine and the car needs to last me as long as possible. Any help is very much appreciated thanks.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Are you sure its knocking?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'll get a video of it cold start and another when it warms up in a little while. I've looked at other videos claiming thier engine is knocking and mind sounds very similar.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyx View Post
    I'll get a video of it cold start and another when it warms up in a little while. I've looked at other videos claiming thier engine is knocking and mind sounds very similar.
    Sounds good.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Are you capable of doing any mechanical work yourself? Like replacing anything the motor needs? What are the extent of your abilities?

I second the video. That's important to help us figure out what the sound is. You are probably hearing wrist pin noise. Has the motor ever been overheated or run lower on oil? If so, that can cause a slight knocking noise in that engine RPM range.

Now, when you say new engine, what year 2.2 is it? $1200 isn't too bad for someone to sell and swap a motor for you. A 2.2 with 100k would be worth about $600 to $700 around my area. But, I'd only consider that route if you can get the timing belt, water pump, and timing pulleys replaced yourself. Those things are going to be due very soon on that motor.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I am capable of doing some mechanical. But tackling any thing to do with the timing belt does scare me. And i do fear that the current engine may or may not be the orignal timing belt I asked the PO if it had been done since it was at 179k when i bought it and he drew a blank. I mean "new to me" i contacted the owner of the shop and ask him about my car he told me he has a 2.2l from a 98 impreza i believe, and if i buy, it will come with Full gasket set, timing belt & water pump and he said he will resurface the heads.

The motor has never overheated on me. And yes it did run veryy low on oil once which is when the noise started. Happened because I'm an idiot and never checked my oil 2 weeks after i had taken it through a local quick oil change place. Due to the weather( winter) had to bring it.

-vids soon-

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

pardon my horrible video capturing skills.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Hmm.... Okay. If doing a timing belt scares you, I would not attempt it. I believe your motor is an interference motor (I know for sure 97-98 EJ22 motors are, and that means if you mess up you can damage internals), but I can't be sure because your 99 is a Phase 2 motor. Phase 2 started sometime in 98 I believe, so you need to make sure that the motor this guy has is compatible with yours. If it is, I suggest going that route. Your engine needs major maintenance, and if since you are not going to do that yourself, it will cost you a lot of money. It would cost you more than what this guy is offering you for those parts and a motor and a head gasket job. Just make sure that he uses ONLY OEM Subaru head gaskets, and nothing else.

From the sounds in the video, I would say you have a rod bearing knock. It can't be a collapsed lifter because your car does not have hydraulic lifters, as you have manually adjustable screws / lock nuts for valve adjustment. When you hear that noise, it's only a matter of time until it completely goes and you throw a rod. It may last while, but there is no telling. How low did you run the motor on oil? How many miles ago was that?

If this guy has a motor that is compatible with yours, I say go for it. It's a steal of a deal. And as long as you take very good care of the car and the new motor, it'll last you forever.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

any suggestions on what questions i should ask him. when i first talked to him he said he would use my timing belt cover and intake manifold for the new one. do i just need him to make sure that the one he wants to put in my car is phase 2 non interferance motor?

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

he also said he uses 6 star head gaskets? idk if those are oem or not

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast