Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine Advice. new to me or keep current.

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

All of the 2.5 motors use a totally different gasket. He should know that.. Yeesh.

2. Top Of Page | #22
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

while checking over the new engine i noticed that the engine stamp shows EJ25 and not EJ22 but i still have my single port heads. i called him and asked if he meant to do that i guess its a "franken motor". gotta get ahold of him ask him what he did about the different bore sizes since i looked details about that specific motor build still need to find out more about it. but i was wondering why it had alot more pep and didnt bog down on me in 5th climbing hills

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Yeah, a 25D with 22E heads is a frankenmotor. I find that, and a few other things you've told me about this guy (what he does / says) a little weird. I mean, he told you he was putting an EJ222 in your car and you find out it's not...

I would get as much info out of him as possible. Find out what year the top end (heads, intake manifold, etc..) is, and what year the short block is from. He would have HAD to use 22D gaskets (bore for them needs to match the block). So he DID know he used a 25D or a 251 short block.

That motor definitely has a lot more pep. They make about 180 horsepower and a ton of torque, especially at the lower end of the RPM range.

If everything he did was really was done the right way, and that lower end (short block) really is in GOOD condition (meaning that it was NEVER overheated or run low on oil), you got a SERIOUS steal of deal there buddy.

Let us know how it goes and what details you can find out.

4. Top Of Page | #24
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

i believe he used my intake manifold. im gonna get ahold of him and ask him what you told me. it was stranges that i didnt get what i was told i was but he seemed like a good guy he went and fixed some CEL issues that ive been struggling with at no cost nor did i mention it.

5. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Sounds good.

And yeah, it is strange. That's why you want to make sure and clarify everything. The CEL issues you were having were probably caused by a few things he replaced while doing the motor swap. Even though things aren't completely straight, it sounds like everything has worked out well.

6. Top Of Page | #26
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

i mean the CEL were present pre-swap on was a p0420 code which was because the red wire(positive?) o2 sensor on the wire harness side slips out of the connector on me and the other was some evap issue which ended up one of the 2 wire plugs had a broken/ rotted out wire no CEL so far. but i am having hard time trying to find more info on this particular build ie issues with them or what i can do to get the most out of it

7. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Yeah, I knew you meant pre-swap. See, I figured you were having some sort of exhaust / vacuum code issues.

Now, a frankenmotor is a high compression build. Since it uses a 2.5 short block you need to be careful until you find out if it's a 251 or a 25D. Either way, I'd still be careful in the long run as the compression ratio is now 11.0:1, give or take a few decimals depending on the piston. The bottom end of the 25D is not as strong as the 251, but they still can't handle too much compression or as much of a beating as a 22E or 222 lower end. There aren't really any other things to worry about going wrong.

If you're looking for some more power, you can get the cams reground by Delta Cams (google them), add an AEM panel filter, upgrade to a 96 to 99 Legacy 2.5 ECU and injectors, add an exhaust from the cat pipe back (high flow cats, performance muffler, etc..), and upgrade to an MSD coil pack and better wires. You can add a header, but that can be expensive. There aren't too many available for the single exhaust port heads.

8. Top Of Page | #28
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

ive already got MS3 UEL single port headers( supers from rs25.com) and a tsudo catback just cause it was cheaper than OEM midpipe and muffler. Is there any way to tell if its 25d or 251?

9. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

The BIGGEST visible physical difference is the 251 has 8 bell housing bolts on the block compared to the 4 of the 25D (only 2 up top and 2 down on the bottom).

Look at where the motor is bolted to the transmission. Are there only 4 bolt/nuts visible? Or are there 8? If there are 8, it is 100% a 251. If there are only 4, it's a 50% chance it's either block. It could be a 251 but he didn't have 4 extra bolts to use, or it could be a 25D with nowhere for the bolts to go. You have to look through the empty holes (or you can stick something in to see how deep it goes) to see which is the case.

10. Top Of Page | #30
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

talked to him yesterday he said its deffinitly a 4 bolt motor hes not sure which one it is but hes gonna look it up for me. what i google what i think is the serial number on the driver side of the motor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast