Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5MT won't go into second gear

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

5MT won't go into second gear

Alright guys, I'm pretty sure something is internally screwed...

I was having difficulty getting my car into 1st and 2nd the other day at a stop, and then getting into 3rd once it went into 2nd. All other gear were fine if I didn't try and put it into 1st or 2nd. I still had difficulty while moving, but much less so.

The day before yesterday, or yesterday (I don't even remember), I wasn't able to get it into 2nd at all. I still can not. Engaging 1st gear is still rough when stopped, and not at all if I've just stopped from moving.

If I try to force it into 2nd it gets jammed and I have to force it back out. FYI, I'm only getting it like a few millimeters into the gate when it jams. It pretty much just won't go into the gate.

I've checked my linkage underneath for any problems, but it's exactly the same as it has been. Sloppy because of the lack of rubber bushings... But nothing seems broken or damaged beyond that.

Whatcha guys think?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 5MT won't go into second gear

Do you hear any grinding? When did you change the fluid last?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

No grinding unless I put it into first too quickly after depressing the clutch at a stop or try and put it in at over 5 mph (first gear synchro is pretty much shot). And so is the 5th gear synchro. I have to rev match it in without the clutch to avoid grinding.

I haven't changed the gear oil at all since I bought it. I've driven it about 12k miles and i dont know when it was last changed.

Okay so I went out and pull the little dip stick.

It's bent...

And here's the level:

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: 5MT won't go into second gear

How dirty is the fluid?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Well, it's of a gold-ish brown color. It doesn't appear to be all that dirty. Pretty much the color you see in the pic and rather clear looking.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sorry Ken, what ended up being the issue??

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It's either a bent fork (have slight issues getting into first) or 2nd gear is stuck on a synchro or something.. It also seems as though 1st doesn't engage entirely. Like its half way engaged. It will fall out of gear if I don't hold it until there's torque on the input shaft. Thing about second though, if I pull hard enough it wil grab (not engage) 2nd ever so slightly.

Case has to be split. I'll either do that or buy a used one after I replaced rear subframe and get all that crap squared away.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Latest update:

Today my dad and I put the car up on the lift and pulled the two-piece rear housing off the transmission..

We ended up finding out that I broke 20% of a fork off.. (Pics to come) We are not sure what fork it's from, and we won't unless we end up spliting the case. It is either the 1st/2nd fork or the 3rd/4th fork. Not 100% sure. While pulling and pushing on the engagement rods, every single gear engaged/disengaged perfectly. Same amount of force on each one. Nothing was broken, bent, or damaged on the rod that pulls/pushes that engagement rods.

I'm going to order a full set of gaskets and a new linkage to install on Wednesday. Hopefully all the gears will then engage smoothly and will work well enough until I sell the car. This goes on the theory that the broken component was causing my engagement issues and why I then ended up getting jammed into 3rd. If not, the whole trans will be coming out and torn apart to install a new fork.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

3rd gear is overrated

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Throw out bearing hmmmmmmm, i had a Toyota tercel that while moving had to shut the car off and put into next gear then restart while moving lol but sounds to me like the clutch is F up i would replace clutch and all part I.E. throw out bearing and pilot bearing along with resurface of flywheel. I would also do with full set of bushings for the shifter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast