Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Silencer? DIY mod.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Intake Silencer? DIY mod.

Been browsing DIY forums, and of course, i see endless number of pages of contradicting results and opinions on this topic.

There's a large "muffler" or silencer that the intake air runs through, just before the panel filter box, and after the ram air snorkel, i found many different opinions on removing the large "tumor" like silencer from many wrx's and sti's with no problems, and/or no positive results... The intention of this mod is to increase the audible noise made when the turbo spools up, and when the bypass valve releases pressure.

• So... first of all.

-Has anyone tried this on their car?

• Secondly..

-If so, after removing the silencer off the elbow piece (sawing off the large tumor), replacing the elbow piece, there is a hole left where the tumor was attached. Have you left this hole open, to act like a Cold Air Intake, bringing air in from inside the wheel well, or blocked off this hole so only the Ram-Air Snorkel takes in the air?
    Thanks guys (:
    Here is a video of the DIY mod if you are unclear of my question
    Last edited by subiesmakemerallyhard; 09-08-2012 at 09:56 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Great question. I personally have always ripped all that snorkel junk out in previous cars. When I took my Cobb intake off & went to the stock intake box for a bit I only re-assembled that much. It sounded good, a bit louder than stock I suppose. I don't have a good frame of reference really. I'm curious what everyone else has to say.
    Every thug needs a lady.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Very cool I'm going to do this to my car today! I'll post my review of it as well! Some are saying that adding a K&N panel filter also increases the sound. Wish i could afford one of them right now

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

just got a DIY idea! (feeling broke and innovative today)
    The idea is to take out the passenger side foglight assembly and route some duct to the hole created when i saw off the Silencer. The only issue i see with this is... rain. I suppose a few holes can be made in the bottom of the duct work to drain any water drawn in. Or simply block the duct off with an adjustable plate that covers the hole during wet weather? thoughts?

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 07sleeperwagon View Post
    Very cool I'm going to do this to my car today! I'll post my review of it as well! Some are saying that adding a K&N panel filter also increases the sound. Wish i could afford one of them right now
    don't you pay a dime for one of those oily maf sensor killers.
    Every thug needs a lady.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DownforceTom View Post
    don't you pay a dime for one of those oily maf sensor killers.
    Wow thanks for that!

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

No prob sir. Remember that Cobb intake I referenced earlier? It was outfitted with a lovely, greasy, k&n filter. So what did you decide?
    Every thug needs a lady.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I hadnt yet removed the silencer yet, if that's what you are referring to. It will get done, just desperate for a hacksaw ROFL.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I don't like the idea of running the hole in the intake to the fog light, I just don't trust that. Too risky.
    Every thug needs a lady.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

In all honesty i agree with you, would be nice to try though, and take some temperature readings, especially once i get into high performance dyno tuning, and see if it even produces any significant numbers there. The plan now is to cut the silencer out and leave the hole open, and leave it at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast